Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

They should install 2 foot wide white visors along the tops of these floors with greater floor to ceiling heights to blend with the balconies above. It would look less distracting than the wide dark strips we see now. It would be somewhat less visually distracting.

I'm still under the impression, however, that DeepEnd hates this building.

you would be correct.

as i predicted, this project has been completely bungled, and it is turning out to be exactly as i said it would: cheesy, awkward, inept, and as cheap and shoddy looking as i said it was going to be.

i just cant be bothered arguing with dead enders who can't see a piece of crap when its staring them in the face.

anyway, now that it is close to "completion", we can seen that it is beyond a doubt the most rinky-dink and minor-league 78 story building in the world--Yay Team! Go Supertall Toronto Boosters!

now you can all stare at this hideous and elephantine POS for the next 40 years or so, as it slowly falls apart.

Today:

DFm3lKF.jpg

beautiful!
Aura sure does look pretty nice in this photo, and, as a whole, I definitely don't hate this building as much as many people do.
I think it's got a fantastic podium though, aside from the beige scrabble cubes which look TERRIBLE! From across the Delta (Eaton) Chelsea, the podium looks great, like a convention centre of some sorts, and the tower sits nicely above (sadly, it's purpose doesn't serve as well, but hopefully the retail front of things will liven it up)
What also sucks is the fact that there are not one, but TWO banks side by side that essentially dominate all the retail fronting yonge. (Not Aura's fault at all, but still unfortunate)

I can't say I despise it as much as thedeepend but... I have to agree that it's an awkward mutant mess of a building. It's like its DNA was scrambled in a washing machine loaded with bleach and LSD. Visually it's a series of jarring and inexplicable disconnects. Just because it's tall does not mean it's going to ever look beautiful. The top end is turning out nicely... more's the pity it's connected to a hideous base. This was a location with potential for much, much more. It could have been so much more elegant, refined and powerful. Instead it's a brutally blocky, indecisive welter.

Oh my... and I just appologised for saying some people hated the building. I take the apology back! :)

My biggest problem with the project is the external finish. The excess of mullions and glass hues, in addition to looking cheap, also fight for attention against the overall forms. Perhaps such surface busyness was intended to soften the monumentalism of the overall structure, but I would have far preferred a sleeker finish that wasn't shy about emphasizing the large component forms. That might not have made the forms themselves work together, but at least it would have seemed to have some clear vision. This just seems like a mishmash.

The top end is turning out nicely... more's the pity it's connected to a hideous base. This was a location with potential for much, much more. It could have been so much more elegant, refined and powerful. Instead it's a brutally blocky, indecisive welter.

It's kind of sad that the two tall buildings we got from this boom so far are embarassing. People have been talking about hiding Trump behind INDX and BA East, this building also needs to be hidden, but not as much as it's ugly runt brothers.

Lets not be so dramatic. Aura doesn't look bad at all. In fact, in the past few sets of pictures it's looking quite good in my opinion! It's no L Tower , but it doesn't look that bad. The top will really make it come together, it already has. There's still another 150-170ft to go on this one. Be patient and at the very least we have a 900ft building which will bring over 2000 new people onto Yonge St and add some much needed density to the area. The average person will never comment that it's ugly, the people I've shown it to are impressed with the height already. The negativity in here is insane, I wonder how half of you make it through any given day with these attitudes.

I can't say I despise it as much as thedeepend but... I have to agree that it's an awkward mutant mess of a building. It's like its DNA was scrambled in a washing machine loaded with bleach and LSD. Visually it's a series of jarring and inexplicable disconnects. Just because it's tall does not mean it's going to ever look beautiful. The top end is turning out nicely... more's the pity it's connected to a hideous base. This was a location with potential for much, much more. It could have been so much more elegant, refined and powerful. Instead it's a brutally blocky, indecisive welter.

one of the better descriptions I have seen. This building, while not ugly, lacks elegance. It just sits there, not really ugly, kind of attractive, but has no emotion to it, no connection to the surroundings, nothing to define itself as AURA.

Lets not be so dramatic. Aura doesn't look bad at all. In fact, in the past few sets of pictures it's looking quite good in my opinion! It's no L Tower , but it doesn't look that bad. The top will really make it come together, it already has. There's still another 150-170ft to go on this one. Be patient and at the very least we have a 900ft building which will bring over 2000 new people onto Yonge St and add some much needed density to the area. The average person will never comment that it's ugly, the people I've shown it to are impressed with the height already. The negativity in here is insane, I wonder how half of you make it through any given day with these attitudes.

Queue imminent personal insults from theshallowend and adam in 3...2...1... I wrote a few positive comments about Aura and Trump, and I am now eternally damned by those two, so don't be surprised if you're next.

+1! Thank god I don't come on this board more often because I'd be one depressed mofo.

I agree that Aura is looking better than before with more of the glass being installed and the ever-rising height.

Wow, they just put teh glass in on teh top two floors before the setback on the south, east and north sides. It does not match the glass on the floors directly below. Looks very bad, like someone on crystal meth decided to take up quilting.

Back