Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Looking south

8112094024_461c7b8088_b.jpg

Forgive me if this is dumb question... but isn't it someone's job to go around the building when it's nearing completion (and after), and touch up the surface deficiencies, such as bad caulking, misaligned fixtures, fittings, defective panels, etc?

I would assume that just hasn't been done yet on Aura, as the building isn't anywhere near finished. Or am I missing something? Wouldn't it make more sense to nit-pick in a year or so?

Forgive me if this is dumb question... but isn't it someone's job to go around the building when it's nearing completion (and after), and touch up the surface deficiencies, such as bad caulking, misaligned fixtures, fittings, defective panels, etc?

I would assume that just hasn't been done yet on Aura, as the building isn't anywhere near finished. Or am I missing something? Wouldn't it make more sense to nit-pick in a year or so?

Yes, it's called a punch list. It's common practice for the punch list to be developed once the project is substanially completed. The list details all the deficiencies which is then given to the construction manager to fix. The final draw to the construction company is held untill all work is completed in accordance with the contract.

So you're not missing anything. If you were to borrow deepend's camera and take photos of other construction sites around the city, you will probably find similar deficiencies.

I don't want up defend Aura too much because a good construction company will get it mostly right the first time.

Yes, it's called a punch list. It's common practice for the punch list to be developed once the project is substanially completed. The list details all the deficiencies which is then given to the construction manager to fix. The final draw to the construction company is held untill all work is completed in accordance with the contract.

Thanks for the info fedplanner. I fear my wife will now be developing a punch list for the reno work I did at home! :)

Thanks for the info fedplanner. I fear my wife will now be developing a punch list for the reno work I did at home! :)

We need a way to prevent our respective wives and girlfriends from discovering this "punch list" concept. Doing a half assed job at tasks around the home is the core of a successful monogamous relationship.

As for Aura, I find it a slight relief to hear that there is a possibility of "touch ups" once major construction is finished.

yes i'm very interested to see how they will be solving problems like this.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm curious as to why you think problems areas like this couldn't be completely removed and re-done later in the process? Does it really matter if these cosmetic issues are present at this stage in the construction?

As long as it's addressed, I'm fine with it. I certainly couldn't jump to assuming (for example) the plumbing work might be shoddy, just because some exterior trim is busted and misaligned.

we can only hope that enough people in the city become enlightened enough to finally say: you know what? enough already with these badly built, badly designed, embarrassingly ugly clunkers. please, leave our city alone.

I can see it already... hordes of masked men descending upon the corner of Yonge and Gerrard, window panes smashed to pieces, cop cars burning in the streets.

Sounds overblown?
Not anymore than your posts.

I can see it already... hordes of masked men descending upon the corner of Yonge and Gerrard, window panes smashed to pieces, cop cars burning in the streets.

Sounds overblown?
Not anymore than your posts.

i'd rather be overblown than overcompensating.

some like to provide cover to bad architects and bad developments, simply because a building is big. i don't.

some like to provide cover to bad architects and bad developments, simply because a building is big. i don't.

I'm confused as to how these exterior issues while still under contruction, somehow make this entire project a "clunker"?

This all seems somewhat over-dramatic.

Last edited:
Developers do need to be held accountable though. And UT is far more oriented towards "omg I love it cuz it's a tall tower!!111" than people who just work to expose the flaws. So I'd say some balance towards the latter holds value
Thanks for that, SP!RE. You've summed it up quite well. When I first joined UT (2001?), I was all about the height and very little about anything else. Very much one of the types you describe. But over the years I've gotten pretty fed up by the deficiencies and cookie-cutter architecture that seems to be dominant in tall buildings. I still do like tall buildings, which can be a bit of an ego boost, but my interest goes beyond their size now, which I think is progress (at least for myself). And for others to say that UT has too many 'negative' members is just ridiculous... it's dominated by height fanboys!

it's dominated by height fanboys!

...and drama queens! :)

None of the detractors have answered my simple question... Why you think problems areas like this couldn't be completely removed and re-done later in the process?

Last edited:
Because they could be removed and redone.

The detractors aren't pointing out those flaws in isolation. If you go back through this thread, the detractors are building a case for why this is going to be a mediocre hunk of crud. When the building is complete, we'll be able to review the case and see what the critics vs. fans got wrong and right.

Back