Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

This thing isn't too easy on the eyes. I think it's the abundance of contrasting mullions that give this thing an unpleasant look IMO.

Thats simply not true. I care about good architecture, but I dont hate the building, although its not in my top 5, I still don't really know how the final product will be yet. However, I do find constant negative criticisms to be somewhat obnoxious and often as repetitive as the constant "this is the best building" comments. Perhaps if people were more in to "I really like this aspect of it, or I really dislike this aspect of it" instead of "I loathe this place, or I want to fornicate with this place".

+1. Unless somebody has a different perspective to add it is simply trolling to keep harping on whether something is awesome or a complete failure.

I'd prefer to wait and see Aura finished before commenting on it too stridently. No, it is not shaping up to be a masterpiece of design and architecture but nobody is really arguing from that perspective anyway.

I think a problem with the forum is simply a result of the world we live in now. It's too easy to take pictures, upload, and comment way before something is completed. As a result we end up with many premature judgements. I've done the same myself.

Judging cladding early on is a mistake. As buildings grow, fill with people, storefronts, etc the appearance of buildings changes dramatically (for the better, or worse).

Buy yes, please everyone, keep the discussions civil. The world is not going to end just because you're disappointed with a building.

But back on topic... I was pleased to hear comments regarding developer money going towards upgrading the park itself. Is there also a public art component to this project? (Apologies if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it).

skyscrapergeek:

I think a problem with the forum is simply a result of the world we live in now. It's too easy to take pictures, upload, and comment way before something is completed. As a result we end up with many premature judgements. I've done the same myself.

Judging cladding early on is a mistake. As buildings grow, fill with people, storefronts, etc the appearance of buildings changes dramatically (for the better, or worse).

I would disagree - your personal experience in the failure of judgement does not negate the experiences of others in judging the worth of a building, from renderings, in various stages of construction and in completion. I don't need to wait for the tower to be completed to see that the state of the building envelope is aesthetically questionable; just as I don't need for other buildings to be completed (e.g. Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Market Wharf, etc) before I render a favourable judgement on them. Is there a certain amount of personal tastes involved? Of course, but at the same time, no one can honestly say a run of the mill grade 9 art project is comparable to da Vinci, Rubens, Monet, Picasso or Warhol either.

No info re: public art that I can locate on the city website.

AoD

Last edited:
^^in much the same way as you can walk out of a really bad movie after suffering through the first 20 minutes of it. There comes a point where it becomes clear that it won't get any better.

^^in much the same way as you can walk out of a really bad movie after suffering through the first 20 minutes of it. There comes a point where it becomes clear that it won't get any better.

You cannot call a bad (or good) movie at the 20 minute mark, nor can one judge a building as it begins to rise. It's an odd comparison but both deserve more time before giving up on it, and even then all can be good but end up with a bad ending!

You cannot call a bad (or good) movie at the 20 minute mark, nor can one judge a building as it begins to rise. It's an odd comparison but both deserve more time before giving up on it, and even then all can be good but end up with a bad ending!

you are most welcome to sit through these if you like. although i'm pretty sure you'd also be cutting your losses at around the 20 minute mark.

fad46ec5.jpg

6db02908.jpg

ffe07b5a.jpg

you're right though, both a film and a building take a lot of time to complete.

hence, a bad film is any combination of:

bad acting
a bad script
bad direction

and a bad building is any combination of:

bad materials
a bad design
bad execution

an surpassingly bad outcome can be achieved when all three factors are extraordinarily deficient.

54871e4e.jpg

don't tell me, let me guess. someone is going to come out of the woodwork and insist that this is just all "subjective opinion", and that these movies are just as good as, oh i don't know:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dr_strangelove/

Those are some of the worst films of all time.

Are you really trying to claim that Aura is one of the worst buildings of all time? Of all time?

auraatcollegeparkcondos.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some of the worst films of all time.

Are you really trying to claim that Aura is one of the worst buildings of all time? Of all time?

very nice graphic, but
er, no.
Aura is not "the worst building of all time"

but hey, really what's the difference? its all just personal opinion right?
there is no qualitative difference between these buildings; they are all of equal merit.
(i'm not directing this at you, just en générale)

49fa5c5d.jpg

12cbbe40.jpg

17d9f2fb.jpg

781243cc.jpg

81d675d6.jpg

Last edited:
I like Aura. When it's finished, and even when it's under construction, the building will animate Yonge Street north of Gerrard. This portion of Yonge Street at current is kind of a dead zone at present, especially because the lighting here is so dim, compared to south of Gerrard, and also because the business on this block are boarded up most of the time. (Quiznos Subs, De'Boers, the Brick, Random Shoe Store at the corner of Yonge and College) - So in that alone, Aura is an awesome addition to the street. Some people focus on the mirco, I focus on the macro. Overall, the amount of people flooding north of Gerrard might be overwhelming, but this is good, most importantly for the park, (College Park) and also because it will create a bit of a release valve on Yonge and Dundas, which sometimes, seems way over capacity. We'll be moving a bit of the Yonge Street is Fun Street, north. Hopefully with some bigger crowds with all those rooftop patios,and if the lighting on this side of Gerrard can match the bright street lighting that they have on the south side, College Park south to Aura will become a bigger draw than it is now, which is no draw at all.

Last edited:

Back