Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I'm sure someone asked this a while back (likely multiple times) but any idea if the park it self is going to be fixed up ? Or will that not happen because they didn't get/apply for the height extension. I remember at one point for the height extention they would fix up the park.

I'm sure someone asked this a while back (likely multiple times) but any idea if the park it self is going to be fixed up ? Or will that not happen because they didn't get/apply for the height extension. I remember at one point for the height extention they would fix up the park.

It definitely is and thank goodness for that! I love the space back in there even though it's shrunk so much in the past decade but the mold they have to work with now could be truly wonderful. It's a great space.

It definitely is and thank goodness for that! I love the space back in there even though it's shrunk so much in the past decade but the mold they have to work with now could be truly wonderful. It's a great space.

That's great news! Any renderings ?

I could have sworn at one one they were considering giving them the extra density if they fixed up the park. I guess that was in the plan from day 1 though.

Specifically, the S.37 agreement dedicates a contribution of $2,000,000 to the park and streetscape improvements. Also included in the S. 37 agreement is a requirement to provide future PATH connections (not that that's news I don't think).

Specifically, the S.37 agreement dedicates a contribution of $2,000,000 to the park and streetscape improvements. Also included in the S. 37 agreement is a requirement to provide future PATH connections (not that that's news I don't think).

Thank god for the condo boom or else this Section 37 would have been running dry.:)

this view has its days numbered

5558652874_08f30a8ecf_b.jpg

Just got a newsletter from Canderel.

On the West side, parking levels will be finished by end April, 4 storey podium should be ready by the Fall, foming of residential tower will begin then. Purchasers will start receiving 'invitations' for colour selction starting in April. Retail tenants will start moving in the first half of 2012. Lots of shops to blow your money. Even more excitement for the purchasers -- colour selections and day dreams about moving in their units starting mid-2012. Assignments will be allowed only after the completion of the first residential level and that too with vendor's permission.

For those individuals who might feel left out of the excitement, a few 'executive', penthouse and subpenthouse units are still available, starting at cool $ 1 million. Wan't to know what your money will buy at these prices? Drop by the sales office and get a 'free' DVD.

Happy day dreaming to all.

Last edited:
As suggested above, I can't see any residential units being ready for occupancy in 2012, it's not going to happen. Sometime in 2013.

I talked to another worker today and he confirmed the transfer slab will indeed be 2 1/2 metres thick. He explained why but lost me after about 30 secs of techno talk.

It transfers the load to columns which are offset from that actual load...

Here is the 'Answers.com' explanation of what a transfer column is. I wish someone would draw an example.
'A column in a multistory framed building that is not continuous down to the foundation, but is supported at some intermediate level where the load is transferred to adjacent columns.'

As suggested above, I can't see any residential units being ready for occupancy in 2012, it's not going to happen. Sometime in 2013.

Sorry.

I should have been a bit more careful in my post. I should not have condensed the contents of the letter.

Colour selection appointments will beging in April 2011. Concrete forming of 4 storey podium should be completed by the Fall of 2011. Forming of residential tower should begin then, with 1st occupancy slated for June 2012. 6 months should be enough to complete, and made ready for occupancy, 1st few floors? That is, assuming there are no unexpected delays.

The podium won't be finished until autumn?! I was expecting to see this thing way up in the air this summer. Boo.

Here is the 'Answers.com' explanation of what a transfer column is. I wish someone would draw an example.
'A column in a multistory framed building that is not continuous down to the foundation, but is supported at some intermediate level where the load is transferred to adjacent columns.'

Really crudely:
transfer slab.jpg

Not every building will have a transfer slab. On most buildings piles are driven into the bedrock and columns are placed vertically above them all the way up to the top of the building, so that in effect the penthouse is sitting on a column that reaches all the way down to bedrock. On a building whose tower has a dramatically different floorplate than the floors below (Maple Leaf Square comes to mind, I'm sure there's others) the necessary column pattern in the tower won't match the necessary column pattern in the podium (or parking garage, or wherever), so you pour a ridiculously thick transfer slab with massive amounts of rebar in it, allowing you to shift the locations of columns. In effect, the tower is no longer sitting on piles that go all the way into the bedrock, but instead is sitting on a massive block of concrete that is in turn sitting on piles that go all the way into the bedrock.

Attachments

• transfer slab.jpg
    transfer slab.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 476
Thanks for explaining the purpose of 'transfer slab '. I was too embarassed to ask the question and expose my ignorance.

A question though. Is there a possibility that during high winds, the building could tumble over at the slab?

Last edited:

Back