Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Wow... Nice find! :D

If approved, the new building height (excluding mechanical) would increase from 231.09m to 243m. Adding the top mechanical would push this project to 264m.

These additional 12 meters sure look like extra floors to me!

Here's my theory: the current PH currently sits on the 76th floor (75th level) but would now reside on the 80th floor after adding 4 additional floors (12m), thus matching Bazis's previously planned 80th floor PH.

Very slick!!! :cool:

I too attended the ground breaking ceremony and Canderel certainly had little appetite for extra floors at that time. Perhaps they're feeling a little threatened with One Bloor's building height hitting 70?

Also, it wouldn't hurt, as a marketing tool, to sell an 80 story penthouse vs some common 70 something one... ;)

Let's hope they can pull this off!

I was reviewing the planning report last week and yes AURA is applying for 4 minor variances - one of which is an increase in height by 12-13 meters

I was reviewing the planning report last week and yes AURA is applying for 4 minor variances - one of which is an increase in height by 12-13 meters

What were the other three variances?

Folks,

I would go with Mike on this one - no additional residential floors. An earlier post in this thread (April 13):

"From an informal conversation with one of the people at the site - is that to go over 75 floors would require anti-sway compensation system to be incorporated into the top of the building, and that construction of the building, as currently designed and permitted, does not include one. The step up in time and cost to complete the building with an anti-sway system would be substantial - way more than the week or less to add incremental typical floors."

So - incorporating additional residential floors would also require a further large increase in height to incorporate the anti-sway compensation system - something not included in the variance. Without any direct knowledge, I would guess that the additional height is due to changes in the design of the roof-top building services....

AHK

Perhaps the height increase was done to vault Aura over Trump's roof height, thereby allowing them to call it the tallest residential building in Canada.

I find it a bit strange that a 75 storey building doesn't already have an anti-sway system anyways.

I've been in meetings in Scotia Plaza on the 63 floor - it was a windy day and the chandelier in the meeting room was swinging quite a bit. it felt odd but I have to assume it was safely designed. I don't know if it had an anti-sway mechanism or not though.

Last edited:
I've been in meetings in Scotia Plaza on the 63 floor - it was a windy day and the chandelier in the meeting room was swinging quite a bit. it felt odd but I have to assume it was safely designed. I don't know if it had an anti-sway mechanism or not though.

I wouldn't like that at all, I'd be out of there. Fast.

Lots of action going on for a friday...my god this thing is a monster

October12010034.jpg

October12010036.jpg

October12010032.jpg

October12010046.jpg

Back