Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

If you want a view of Aura from Dundas Square, 3Dementia posted this image back in April 2007, on post #849 of this thread. Since then, Aura's design has significantly increased in height. And yes, this image is correct in its depiction of Aura's relative size at the camera location, believe it or not.

aura-pov.jpg

Last edited:
It has? How tall is it supposed to be in that rendering?

It looks like I jumped the gun a bit. Going back three years, the listed height of Aura was already 75 storeys @ 243m. This is still the official height of Aura today, despite recent evidence that Aura is likely to end up at least 10 storeys taller:

Post #2152 (yyzer) : this was posted today by Sammo at SSP............

anyways, i was talking to a couple of suburb type architects at a meeting this afternoon. we exchange business cards and stuff when one of them gives me his 'graziani + corazza' card.

i mention to him about how lovely those two first College Park buildings are (lol) and ask about the third, Aura. he tells me they are currently applying to the commity of adjustments/board for increased floor hieghts -for a new height of 286 meters! that's taller than trump i says! he says "yes, and so?". 286 meters and they are confident this will get passed -no problem -in about three, four months.

but the more interesting and surprising bit of info was that they also had and still have a 'surprise' proposal of 90 storeys at about 307 meters that had been kind of shelved since 1BE was canned. they say it's still 'up their sleeve' depending on upcoming'the financial climate, etc.' i asked if he would send me a render but said he was unable... -of course, we just met...

these guys are just mid level architects that work in the office so all i have is their word. but they wore suits (with hard hats) and have suitcases!

Post #2157 (Johnzz) : Here's an article dated November 23rd, 2007

http://www.collegeparkcondos.com/pdf/media/ANewEra11_25_07_Sun.pdf

which quotes Canderel president Michael La Brier as saying "We could handle another 10 storeys or so on that building with the engineering and the structure we have... so we might end up with the equivalent of 94 storeys at the end of the day".

Post #2380 (Automation Gallery) : Lets hope so.....according to Stephen Dupuis, president and CEO of the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) this building will be 80 storeys.

Post #2380 (Automation Gallery) : Lets hope so.....according to Stephen Dupuis, president and CEO of the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) this building will be 80 storeys.

I should probably refute this last point. I spoke with Mr. Dupuis afterwards and he corrected himself that the 80 floor quote should have read 75 floors.

As for building height, Aura used to be 243 meters but is now 252 meters.

Just to keep the dream alive, the official groundbreaking ceremony for Aura is this Friday (with David Miller etc…). This would be an opportune time to announce an increase in building height. ;)

They are putting in some concrete piles in line with the garage doors so it looks like they are going to build a ramp bridge like they did at Maple Leaf Square.

Originally Posted by Johnzz
the official groundbreaking ceremony for Aura is this Friday (with David Miller etc…).
That explains why there wasnt much media fuzz over this massive building when it first broke ground.....

That explains why there wasnt much media fuzz over this massive building when it first broke ground.....

so who's invited to the event? will it just be a bunch of suits holding gold shovels for pictures and cracking open champagne?

V.I.P. agents have also invited. Canderel is still trying to unload penthouse apartment plus a few odds and ends units. Unfortunately, I have not been invited -- not as yet. That's not a way to treat someone who has bought a unit in AURA on high floor. One of these days, I will take up this matter with the vice-president, sales and marketing.

I'm flying out today (flight permitting...) and will attend. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate/siteprofiles/article/794643--living-the-high-life

Living the High Life
April 22, 2010

Tracy Hanes
Toronto Star

For a cool $17.5 million, you can have one of the most unique residences in Toronto – and unparalleled views of the city in all directions.

In late April, Canderel Stoneridge will bring the lavish 11,370-square-foot penthouse to market. It sits atop the downtown Aura condominium, which at 75 storeys, is the tallest residential building in Canada, designed by Graziani + Corazza Architects.

“It’s the largest condo available that I know of in Toronto,†says Riz Dhanji, vice president of sales and marketing for Canderel Stoneridge. “The purchaser will have a one-off unique floor plan that is not going to seen anytime again in Toronto. I don’t think builders are going to be doing larger units like this in future. This is a signature residence for a buyer looking for the ultimate in luxury.â€

Dhanji says the Toronto market is ready to support a penthouse with such a lofty price tag.

“Toronto has been put on map as an international city and people from all around the world are looking at and investing in Toronto, having their kids here,†he explains. “It’s turning into one of those cosmopolitan cities like Chicago or Los Angeles. In the U.S., back in the day, people from around the world were buying $20 million or $30 million properties in Miami. I feel Toronto offers great value for people buying luxury properties.â€

He anticipates the buyer may be from overseas, but says there has been interest from local buyers and the suite would be perfect for a wealthy homeowner in an area like the Bridle Path who wants to move to a maintenance-free abode. The location is prime, at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard Streets.

Dhanji relates the story of a buyer who was in Vancouver during the recent Olympics, walked into a project and purchased a $23 million, 8,000-square-foot condo in 15 minutes flat. He thinks the Aura penthouse has the potential to create a similar first impression.

“The most incredible thing is, because it’s the whole floor plate, you will have 360 degree views, which is outstanding, through floor-to-ceiling windows,†says Dhanji. “You’ll see the CN tower, Bay and Bloor Streets, the University of Toronto, the waterfront ... because it’s the tallest building, every direction will offer an unimpeded view.â€

Those stunning panoramas will be evident from the second visitors step out of the high-speed elevator into the marble-enclosed grand foyer. “You’ll see an extraordinary view in front of you looking south. It’s amazing. For everything from the 56th floor up, we’ve used a curtain wall (window) system, which has wide spacing between mullions, so you get beautiful views.â€

Ceilings throughout the five-bedroom, six-bathroom suite will be 13 feet high and “finishes are top-of-the-line custom design,†says Dhanji. “The penthouse is brand new, which means whoever buys it can put their personal stamp on it, to customize it as he or she sees fit.

“We know people will want to come in with their own interior designer and will want to change things, add their own touches. But we’re offering things like European custom cabinetry (which the buyer can choose), Sub-Zero appliances, a Wolf cooktop and warming oven, Miele dishwasher, real hardwood throughout, with inlays of tile, whether it’s marble or limestone, in a number of areas.â€

As well as the gourmet kitchen, there will be a spacious formal living room for entertaining, formal dining room, a family room for more informal gatherings, a den and library, and a master bedroom with double-sided fireplace.

The living room will have a spectacular free-standing sculptural fireplace encased in stone, and the hardwood floors will have tile inlays in angled patterns and alcoves for art pieces. The dining room will include a wine bar and dry bar.

The master ensuite will include separate his-and-her bathrooms, outfitted with high-end Kohler fixtures, including a free-standing tub in hers. There will also be his-and-her dressing rooms. There are four other bedrooms, though the buyer can reconfigure the plan to change a bedroom to a gym, for example.

One of the most unique rooms will be what Dhanji calls the salon.

“Aura is 75 storeys tall, and when you get up to that height, the wind factor is just insane, whether it’s summer or winter, so a balcony up that high is not going to be used,†he says. “So, we’ve created a salon, which is sort of a sunroom, where you can eat your breakfast, lounge, suntan. It’s enclosed but done up like a backyard with a wooden deck, nice plantings and a whirlpool, and it has spectacular views.â€

To come up with the inspiration for the penthouse, Dhanji says “we looked at five-star hotels, the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carlton, we looked at places in Europe and took aspects from all of them and integrated them into the floor plant.

“We really, really paid all attention to all the small details and they are all high quality,†he adds.

Included in the price is a private double-car garage (four parking spaces in all) with a locker. On the ground floor of Aura is 180,000-square-foot of retail space, including restaurants, services and high end shops. There is also direct access to the College Park subway station and eventually the underground PATH system will be connected to it.

“People can do all their shopping downstairs, which is very convenient,†says Dhanji. There will also be an executive concierge available for residents of the executive and penthouse floors to arrange “dry cleaning, taxi service, anything the residents can think of. It will really be a white-glove service.â€

If $17.5 million is beyond your price range, there are other penthouses available on the 72th to 74th floors, ranging from 2,200 to 3,000 square feet, and priced from $2.2 million to $3.5 million, says Dhanji.

For information, contact Dhanji at rdhanji@canderel.com or call 416-593-6366.

Quote from Article above:

“Toronto has been put on map as an international city and people from all around the world are looking at and investing in Toronto, having their kids here,” he explains. “It’s turning into one of those cosmopolitan cities like Chicago or Los Angeles."

Sorry to go off topic but it bothers me when people write that Toronto is starting to turn in to a cosmopolitan city, when in reality we are more cosmopolitan, or put another way, international/ multicultural than most cities we are compared to at a level akin to new york.
The real definition of a cosmopolitan city is a place that fully embraces its multicultural demographics, I'm very sure we have done that for quite a while here.

LA? Really?

mckarisma, the bit about embracing multicultural demographics resonates, - indeed, this is what makes the city so special. Toronto seems to be a place where this diversity in unity has taken root. It has to be appealing to optimists the world over.

Back