Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I think the 3 to 4 million square feet and 100,000 sq ft lowrise plates was a far bigger issue. I realized the corner of Yonge & College did get built but, I doubt the overall project was little more than a pipedream like much of the 1920s and mid 2000s.

As I've said before, it was a row of spec buildings and possible refacings (the Glass Head Shop looked like it might have been older out back) that was made possible by the Eatons College-spurred widening of this stretch of Yonge, and it mostly survived into the late 70s and early 80s (I think Glass Head Shop was the last to go, maybe around 1990ish). Unfortunately, it bit the dust a little too early for their "Deco District" potential to be a fixation point (while Deco was "discovered" in the 70s--thus Eatons College's survival--it was as yet the prima donna landmarks rather than the contextual fabric that tended to be celebrated)

Here is the entire block, including the "chicken palace".. pretty interesting stuff

Sorry pictures are big, Have no clue how to resize

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Am I the only one? I've tried everything on numerous computers and I still can't see what you've posted.

When I copy and paste the link in a new window it says the file is only 1x1 pixel.

Opera, nothing
Chrome, nothing
Safari, nothing
Firefox, nothing
IE, nothing

What browser are you using, Redroom Studios?

edit -- never mind, I now see the images after I refreshed the most recent time

Last edited:
Those photos are terrific but they don't bring back any memories to me however I could have sworn that Kresge's was on the S/E corner of Carlton & Yonge. It must have been a Woolworth's or something like that which is perhaps why I'm confusing the two and pulling a blank on what used to be on the Aura lot.

I'll assume that was an earlier (1930s) Kresge's; the Carlton + Yonge streamliner was, I believe, from the late 40s. (Together with the Odeon Carlton, they made a splendid albeit late-blooming urbanistic point/counterpoint of Mendelsohn Moderne.)

Refreshing did the trick, thanks. Those were actually lovely buildings.

They were indeed, and that brings me back to what we have that remains on Yonge Street downtown. The street is loaded with charm, many buildings just need some paint stripping and some TLC.
I'm kind of glad these buildings are already gone, it would be heartbreaking to watch them being demolished with daily updates right before our eyes with dozens of glorious 12 megapixel, Photoshopped, images uploaded here on UT.

Updates from this morning! (march 15, 2010)

I was amazed on how much work is being done down there! There are tons of machines/workers on site digging ferociously :D It was a truly EPIC sight to see! Such a huge building will rise here!!!!!!!

*****Notice Lumiere Condo in the background!

4436115118_65ec1a312d_b.jpg

4436115684_ceddd2a0e7_b.jpg

I'm guessing 6 levels of underground parking

Back