Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

Good to see this happening.

Not so fast. There are still legal hurdles (I.e. An air-tight NIMBY agreement with 633 Bay condo Corp) no matter how much the City and others might like it.
Also, at a recent community meeting, it was found out that floor expansion at Atrium on Bay would create a shadow effect on Dundas Square.

Look at the Media Tower - Something is up?

Looks like a media tower renovation is underway

49xp6.gif

And here is the picture from last night

10359090794_831027445b_b.jpg

Last edited:
That media tower has always been a bit of an eye-sore. It's never fully covered with signs, so the metal backing is always exposed on the lower portions, as well as the sides. The city should force them to fully cover that hulking mass of metal and wires. (even if it's free advertising for the city or non-profit organizations) That side portion, that once held a beer can, has been left exposed for years now and that clutter is ugly. It detracts from the view of Aura, which I'm sure some of you Aura haters would prefer but I actually like the view of Aura from Dundas Square. It's the media tower that needs a serious reworking/renovation. The LG neon sign was the best thing on that tower.

Last edited:
hmm, are they taking the TV down as well ? There must be a permit for the work to explain what's going on.

I think it's this:
http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3434268

In conjunction with an existing Media Tower located along the Yonge Street frontage of the subject premises and subject to an amending By-law to the former City of Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 297, to modify and consolidate the existing sign faces on both the southerly and northerly-facing elevations. Modifications and consolidations include reducing the number of sign faces, modifying the method of copy display and encroaching into portions of the existing media tower that have been dilineated, by By-law, as "no cover zones". **Clear Channel Outdoor** **Atrium on Bay** **Hines**

Edit: Found the city report. Just skimming it, it looks like they're getting permission to include larger signs, and to cover more of the tower than they were allowed previously.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.SB21.2

Last edited:
There's a picture on page 17 of that report that shows what they're doing. The picture is just a schematic so it's hard to imagine what it'll look like exactly, but they're going to cover the entire surface of the tower (on both sides) with ads. There will be two large video screens on the south side, one of which will extend out past the edge of the tower. The static signage will also be getting uplighting. The round sign is gone, but it shows that platform staying. I guess it could either look interesting or utilitarian, depending how they implement the new screens and ad spaces.

Sign 1 in this diagram looks like it will be a Massive (and I mean Massive ) LED Digital Display screen

newsignage.png

This is the elevation facing south. Screens 3 and Screens 4 are roughly the size of the existing video screen.

Here is the verbiage explaining the signage display copy

dundas-square2.png

Last edited:
It definitely would. Our lawyers have told us so and that was one of the reasons why our condo corp appealed. For me personally, being on the 23rd floor with an unobstructed view south view, there is no doubt that the value of my property would drop at least 10%-20% if the project had gone through. And even owners who don't have a south view would be affected, because the current unobstructed view from the rooftop terrace would be blocked. With that said, if I wasn't living in the building I would definitely be in support of the expansion.

"This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning By-law."

Back