Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

About frigging time - everything takes forever in this city. That sidewalk staircase is a disaster.

Report to TTC on new (replacement) entrance to Dundas Stn on next agenda.

The new entrance will be within Atrium on Bay.

It will result in the closure of the existing outdoor staircase and a therefore more usable sidewalk width.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../14_Entrance_Connection_to_Dundas_Station.pdf

Cross-posted to TTC: Other Items thread

An improvement over what we have now to be sure, but it looks insufficient and not particularly future-oriented.

AoD

Maybe they should leave the existing stairs to help disperse the crowds or the new exit will be just as packed as the current one.

About frigging time - everything takes forever in this city. That sidewalk staircase is a disaster.
Agreed but if the building owner does not agree there really is not much the TTC can do. It would certainly have been better if the King subway entrance outside One King West had been moved inside but the building owner refused (partly because it could have affected the heritage aspects inside.)

Maybe they should leave the existing stairs to help disperse the crowds or the new exit will be just as packed as the current one.

The problem is that it's a bottleneck. The squeeze between the raised tree planters and the Spring Rolls patio further west is a bad bottleneck as well.

The new entrance will not be nearly as convenient as the existing one - it will mean going through four sets of doors, instead of none. I'm also surprised that Atrium on Bay won't be required to make an accessible route from its concourse level to the subway as part of the major renovations.

Agreed but if the building owner does not agree there really is not much the TTC can do. It would certainly have been better if the King subway entrance outside One King West had been moved inside but the building owner refused (partly because it could have affected the heritage aspects inside.)

Of course there is - expropriation. The TTC would loath the attendant cost.

The problem is that it's a bottleneck. The squeeze between the raised tree planters and the Spring Rolls patio further west is a bad bottleneck as well.

The new entrance will not be nearly as convenient as the existing one - it will mean going through four sets of doors, instead of none. I'm also surprised that Atrium on Bay won't be required to make an accessible route from its concourse level to the subway as part of the major renovations.

Though taken in balance it would be a significant improvement over the existing entrance, which among other things create a terrible bottleneck for the NW side of Yonge-Dundas. As to the bottleneck further down the sidewalk - I am not sure how someone is smart enough to put those planters in the first place and how the patio got approved in that context. Wouldn't hesitate for one minute to rip those stupid things out.

AoD

Last edited:
Renovations at the Tim Hortons on the concourse have been completed...and it looks exactly the same as it was before, minus the seating. There is no new escalator from the concourse to the first floor beside the store, but the ceiling has been repaired. I heard from multiple sources that it was related to an escalator - would they have had to install something above Timmies to prepare for an escalator from the 1st to 2nd floor in the MUJI space?

The floorplate at 20 Dundas has been extended on the 2nd floor over the lobby to the sidewalk. The interior scaffolding is supposed to come down sometime soon.
Exterior scaffolding has been built over the sidewalk from 20 Dundas to 40 Dundas - the 2nd floor windows and interior facing Dundas have been undergoing demolition.

New 2nd floor extension over the 20 Dundas West lobby:

20180419_094832.jpg

Attachments

• 20180419_094832.jpg
    20180419_094832.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 547
I had a quick peek into the MUJI space under construction - there is a large rectangular cutout in the flooring for what would most likely be the base for an escalator. There also appears to be a 2nd floor being constructed above. I'm fairly sure that the new MUJI store will be at least 2 storeys.

An astute observation.

There is merit in it. I think that's about all I can say.

Back