Toronto Aquabella at Bayside | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | 3XN

Hope they were sealed up earlier. For some reason, seeing this made me wonder about the drainage system at Habitat ‘67 (both are kinda Q-Bert-esque)
93D5E500-C2A8-497E-A802-0CE5A8935125.jpeg

This building is certainly a standout, but unfortunately I can't say the same for the rest of East Bayfront which is really looking like a missed opportunity. Those shots from the water really cement how it's just more of the same greyish-blue glass that already dominates the landscape. I look at something like Krøyers Plads in Copenhagen and think how wonderful a neighbourhood made with predominantly red brick would've looked here. Not only would it stand out from the water, but it would thematically tie East Bayfront into the nearby Old Toronto and Distillery vernacular.
There's so much more we could have done with this part of the city instead of a wall of bland/ugly condos. We had a blank slate that could have featured an art gallery, opera house, museum, a major shopping center or more grand park space. Something akin to what Chicago has done with its central waterfront area.

The south side of Queens Quay is turning out quite nice though.

There's so much more we could have done with this part of the city instead of a wall of bland/ugly condos. We had a blank slate that could have featured an art gallery, opera house, museum, a major shopping center or more grand park space. Something akin to what Chicago has done with its central waterfront area.

The south side of Queens Quay is turning out quite nice though.
Agreed, but the good news is this is all still being planned for just East of Bayside.

Have you sent an email to WT? Does anyone have their contact info? Strength in numbers :)
I emailed WT about the trees and they replied:

Thank you for your email and concern for the trees. Waterfront Toronto is aware of the health of the trees and has raised the issue to the City of Toronto’s Forestry, Parks and Recreation division. We have also engaged an arborist to evaluate the trees and advise us on next steps for treatment, if appropriate.

I emailed WT about the trees and they replied:

Thank you for your email and concern for the trees. Waterfront Toronto is aware of the health of the trees and has raised the issue to the City of Toronto’s Forestry, Parks and Recreation division. We have also engaged an arborist to evaluate the trees and advise us on next steps for treatment, if appropriate.
I got the same answer about a month ago and nothing has been done yet

So, I made it down here on my walk yesterday...........

I took extensive pictures.

Keeping in mind that I'm not an arborist by trade, simply someone knowledgeable about trees/plants........
I lean towards this being Cottony Maple Scale. A really bad case of it. I would need someone more expert than myself to confirm that.

Pictures - Taken August 31st, 2021:

1630521691875.png

1630521720908.png

The pest is pervasive among virtually all of Silver/Freeman Maples along the length of the promenade.

(note, this is why I'm not a fan of doing single-species allees, if something bad infects the trees, especially clones, it tends to hit all of them, biodiversity isn't just a good ecological practice, its a very good
landscape one!)

Below is a specimen (tree) that is effected somewhat worse than average, but isn't the worst case among them.

1630521929774.png

On the upside, overall, if you weren't looking too closely, you still have a relatively green allee, for now.

1630522082487.png

My inexpert read is that you have 3-4 trees that are absolutely dead, whether or not the infestation is the cause is unclear (to me) in those cases.

There are perhaps another dozen that are severely distressed and may be at risk.

The others while showing various degrees of stress don't appear to be at imminent risk of dying to me (let's hope)
I do expect this will impair fall colour. Several trees will drop their leaves early, and will go brown before they ever get to go red.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct.........I believe most of the trees should survive.

Based on this :

1630522379657.png

Taken from: https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/cottony-maple-scale

One other positive note, this pest has not and will not likely impact either the Willows at Sugar Beach or the Oaks at Sherbourne Common.

Back