Toronto Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe

Do we have any details on the hotel bar? The Ace Hotel will be across the street from me and I’d love to have a cool new place to hang out and do some work for an hour and then stick around for a drink and live music. I haven’t seen any interior renderings.

An Opening Ceremony shop like the one at the NYC location would be cool too. But perhaps this location isn't quite right for that.

I mean, they really have nothing to complain about. They purchased a unit facing into a lot waiting to be redeveloped. It was only a matter of time before their clear view was blocked.

I say this as someone who’s about to lose my lake view when The Well and then KING are built. Views are never guaranteed in a growing city.
There's a difference between having your lake views blocked by new buildings 100 metres away, with one that's 6 or 7 metres away.

Doesn't matter, people need to do their due diligence when purchasing units. I don't see any issue with that setback; it's a similar to Tower at Pier 27. Units are generally priced accordingly, given their view, ceiling height, size, etc. premiums.

When I look at any new precon (or even units already built), I check the floor plan relative to the building location (and I even look at things to see if the unit is beside the elevator or garbage chute) and then check Google Streetview (or go in person) to see what's around the site. To me, that can actually be more important than the floor plan layout itself.

I can't speak for other people but I have a feeling many don't put the same level of effort when purchasing units and frankly I don't feel bad if they don't do their homework before dropping $500K+ on a purchase. Any commitment of that magnitude requires meticulous planning before pulling the trigger.

There's a difference between having your lake views blocked by new buildings 100 metres away, with one that's 6 or 7 metres away.

Doesn't matter, people need to do their due diligence when purchasing units. I don't see any issue with that setback; it's a similar to Tower at Pier 27. Units are generally priced accordingly, given their view, ceiling height, size, etc. premiums.

That can be impossible when there is nothing planned for the site when the initial purchase is being made, so don't jump to a conclusion that the buyer is at fault. Also, the presumption that pricing reflects what could be built across the way isn't so. Seven metres is an uncomfortable distance - particularly when that tight lane will be used by service vehicles for garbage and deliveries. The issue of the facing distance was raised at the public meeting for this project, but a local architect supporting the project stated that the distance was "sensitive." Others beg to differ. Just because the architecture is of high quality doesn't mean that other related issues on the use of the site must automatically be diminished.

When I look at any new precon (or even units already built), I check the floor plan relative to the building location (and I even look at things to see if the unit is beside the elevator or garbage chute) and then check Google Streetview (or go in person) to see what's around the site. To me, that can actually be more important than the floor plan layout itself.

I can't speak for other people but I have a feeling many don't put the same level of effort when purchasing units and frankly I don't feel bad if they don't do their homework before dropping $500K+ on a purchase. Any commitment of that magnitude requires meticulous planning before pulling the trigger.
Wow, all I said was "Residents of the Brant Park that face into it will be somewhat mollified by that: the two buildings are very close. Thank goodness they'll have something relatively handsome to look at." Read into things much?

That can be impossible when there is nothing planned for the site when the initial purchase is being made, so don't jump to a conclusion that the buyer is at fault.
Given the record number of lots being development in Toronto, that's at the buyer's risk.

Yes, when the Brant Park condos started construction (around summer 2013), there was no application for 51 Camden (until August 2015) so the initial precon buyers would have no idea but let's look at Google Streetview:

1542827207893.png

When you see those raggedy buildings right beside the site to the north and it doesn't raise questions to the buyers on the north side that perhaps that site may get developed in the future, especially after you, yourself bought into a project were similar raggedy buildings were standing, then you better believe it that it's the buyer's fault if they're not OK with it.

It's the buyer's duly responsibility to do their due diligence to the fullest extent possible AND also understand that there are always risks involved. We have so much information available at our disposal these days that there's no excuse.

I'm sure those northern units were cheaper than the south-facing Adelaide ones, and even more so if they were facing west onto the park on Brant.

In any case, the people complained (as the only thing people know how to do these days), they lost and now 51 Camden is approved to be redeveloped. Tough luck & suck it up; there are worse things in life.

I feel more sorry for the units in the building just down the street, circled in yellow. They're staring straight at a cement wall. Here's a closer look before anyone jumps on me and telling me there are no windows:

1542827464851.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the Starwood Centre, which was originally developed as commercial office space and later converted to fairly spectacular lofts, view or no view.

Last edited:
Do we have any details on the hotel bar? The Ace Hotel will be across the street from me and I’d love to have a cool new place to hang out and do some work for an hour and then stick around for a drink and live music. I haven’t seen any interior renderings.

I thought this was no longer slated to be an Ace.

That's the Starwood Centre, which was originally developed as commercial office space and later converted to fairly spectacular lofts, view or no view.

I've always loved that building. Built from 1990-92 and registered in 1993. Any idea what year it was converted to residential?

Back