Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Once MCC becomes less of a pedestrian wasteland I think they'll regret the podium choice, not going with something more interesting, not including retail, or even not having one at all. The shoebox at the bottom ruins the curve effect from the street level.. But that's just me.

Once MCC becomes less of a pedestrian wasteland I think they'll regret the podium choice, not going with something more interesting, not including retail, or even not having one at all. The shoebox at the bottom ruins the curve effect from the street level.. But that's just me.

AFAIK ... the 4 storey podium builidng running along Hurontario does in fact have retail on the ground floor with very generous high ceilings

Yesterday =]

ABJMal.jpg

221VXl.jpg

Last edited:
April 12
More up on site. The hoarding was removed after I shot these photo. Sidewalk has been open for sometime. New curbs were pour on Friday.
7100986403_7185e50e76_b.jpg

6954913638_853a2d1659_b.jpg

6954906094_3b23293393_b.jpg

6954907676_163054027a_b.jpg

7101063859_592a056c3e_b.jpg

This building kind of reminds me of what it would be like if Jay-Z and Kanye West performed "N**as in Paris" on plywood stages in some church basement.

I mean, I know it's trying to be audacious and in your face, being a monumental spectacle of two towers at the intersection of two, giant 8 lane suburban boulevards. And, yeah, sometimes I want us to be indulgent in Toronto and shrug off that Jane Jacobs/Jan Gehl's wholesome urbanity every once in a while. But this building can't even get audacity right. It looks striking and sort of Dubai-otherworldly from far away, but then you get up close and you're treated to a flat, mechanical top, a low slung, precast podium and those cheap block pavers from Home Depot's garden centre.

Last edited:
This building kind of reminds me of what it would be like if Jay-Z and Kanye West performed "N**as in Paris" on plywood stages in some church basement.

I mean, I know it's trying to be audacious and in your face, being a monumental spectacle of two towers at the intersection of two, giant 8 lane suburban boulevards. And, yeah, sometimes I want us to be indulgent in Toronto and shrug off that Jane Jacobs/Jan Gehl's wholesome urbanity every once in a while. But this building can't even get audacity right. It looks striking and sort of Dubai-otherworldly from far away, but then you get up close and you're treated to a flat, mechanical top, a low slung, precast podium and those cheap block pavers from Home Depot's garden centre.

hahahaha are you crazy? The pictures do this ABSOLUTEly no justice, you have to go see it in person, incredible.

Actually it's very difficult to take a 'flattering' shot of these buildings. They almost always look better in person - pictures tend to be very unflattering compared to how they look in real life.

If they really are going to change the mech box ("bottle cap") of each tower, how do they plan to get the new cladding up there without a crane or derrick? The residential elevators?

hahahaha are you crazy? The pictures do this ABSOLUTEly no justice, you have to go see it in person, incredible.

I have seen it up close. This wasn't hard to do because it has been "almost completed" for nearly a year now. I didn't see the paving stones and the artwork, but I did see how the completed towers related to the dinky podium (which, I assume, wasn't part of MAD's design), and I noted how the fact that such a curvaceous building ended in a flat roof - as if somebody had taken a hacksaw to the top - as being a little jarring.

The building looks fantastic from far away in the sunset. Up close, it's another story.

Back