Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Very true.

As it stands, there is empty space that would allow for 40 or 50 condo (or office towers) to fit within the "MCC" area. Up to 20 or so are already either being sold or in early stages of construction. 5 or 6 years from now even that photo will seem empty.

If you want to talk "under used" within a 2km radius of Square One then that is easily 100 buildings.

I think Dixie, Dundas and Lakeshore will all experience infill and redevopment of mid and high density projects as well - though at a slower/later pace than the current empty lands that will more quickly add to Mississauga's density and skyline. There are still pockets around the city where homes and townhomes will be built - mostly outlying areas - but not along within MCC or along these corridors I mentioned. There is tons of room to grow up (in every sense) - they just really need to have a more cohesive plan for massing, street integration, parking and transit.

Mississauga will look and feel more like some of these new cities rising in China than your typical North American big city - and these two Absolute World buildings will help bring a lot of attention and likely visitors to the area.

Last edited:
I doubt we will see that much high-rise development in Mississauga in out lifetimes though. I think you underestimate the amount of NIMBYism that there will be.

That land is not actually "under-utilized" to begin with, considering the low amount of people walking, biking, taking transit in Mississauga, all that land is being used to its full potential. All that parking space is actually needed.

I think only if Mississauga is able to get huge amounts of people out of their cars will such land be redeveloped to at such large scale and at such high density. Even Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough have not experienced that much redevelopment yet, even though have like 3 times the transit ridership that Mississauga does... so Mississauga will have be even better than that, which seems unlikely.

I doubt we will see that much high-rise development in Mississauga in out lifetimes though. I think you underestimate the amount of NIMBYism that there will be.

That land is not actually "under-utilized" to begin with, considering the low amount of people walking, biking, taking transit in Mississauga, all that land is being used to its full potential. All that parking space is actually needed.
Vacant land isn't under-utilized? Consider:

- Parkside Village will add what, 12 buildings (or is it 15?).
- The lots next to One Park and Chicago will add a minimum of 2 more, with room for 4.
- The block north of Chicago has room for at least 2 and as many as 5.
- There are plans for a second building to complete the pair NW of Rathburn and McLaughlin (can't recall development name)
- The lands between Burnhamthorpe and Webb, Confederation ans Grand Park are selling the first of 4 with room for between 8 and 10
- The lands between Kariya and Solstice have room for at least 2 and as many as 5
- There is room for at least 1, maybe 2 more towers on that Enfield lot across from Sussex
- There is room for at least 2 and as many as 4 along Hurontario, south of Widesuites (tax man, Willy's, etc)

So without toching any existing parking lots or empty commercial space around Square One, that equates to a minimum of 25 and as many as 40 buildings on what is currently vacant land.

Consider the development at Hurontario & Eglinton, plus neighboring lands, add another 10+ buildings.

If you allow that actual Square One lands along Burnhamthorpe or Hurontario might get more residential or ideally a commercial tower or two or three, there's room for another 8~15 buildings, depending on size and space.

Will it happen in our lifetimes? I'm 37, so I'm thinking yes, without much difficulty considering we're not talking ANY redevelopment.

The places I mentioned along Dundas, Dixie and Lakeshore would come along later - but I could easily see some or most of Cooksville wipred away and rebuilt - meaning the area immediately around Hurontario and Dundas. It's not like those cluttered strip malls are worth much or have long standing, luxury tenants. I could see a Hullmark or Empress type of clustering around the intersection, slowly expanding outwards.

That seems to happen every few days. These buildings are attention magnets for Mississauga.
These are postcard worthy structures that will attract a whole lot more than forum posters, and why I'm confident the area will in fact grow and fill in the way I listed a few posts back, sooner rather than later.

They're like the first Home Depot in an empty retail area. Next thing you know, there are dozens of stores and it's a power center.

The suburban formula turned "density" instead of "space".

Sorry if I missed the replies, but did anybody figure out what the "ribbing" is for underneath the floor slabs?
Is it for cladding or something else?

My silly sense of humour is at it again...

4720942659_a0938f9952_b.jpg

(Original courtesy jasonzed at SSP http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=172519&page=9 with my crazy-brained Photoshop renderwork)

[Note:The label reads:Absolut World Vodka, Country of Mississauga, This superb Condo was grown in the rich fields of southern Mississauga, 75% Sold/ Vol, Not Imported]

Back