Toronto 96 Spadina | 69.5m | 16s | Allied | Sweeny &Co

From Allied Reit's 2019 Second Quarter Conference Call - Hugh Clark indicated that Allied believes they have reached agreement with the City on the Adelaide and Spadina project, with the proposal to go to City Council in the fourth quarter, and with pre-leasing to commence with the approvals in hand.

The conference call may be accessed at: https://streaming.webcasts.com/viewer/event.jsp?ei=1252155&tp_key=5486c88f4e with Hugh Clark's (Vice President - Development) comments on the Adelaide and Spadina and the King and Brant Street projects at the 11:30 point.

Toronto and East York Community Council consideration on October 10, 2019

96 Spadina Avenue and 379, 383, 385 and 391 Adelaide Street West - Zoning By-law Amendment Application - Final Report
This zoning amendment application proposes a 16-storey building with 80 square metres of retail/commercial space on the ground level and 33,946 square metres of office space above the existing buildings at 96 Spadina Avenue and 379, 383, 385 and 391 Adelaide Street West. The proposal also includes the full retention of the heritage buildings at 96 Spadina Avenue and 379 Adelaide Street West and partial retention of the building at 383 Adelaide Street West. A total of three loading spaces and 98 bicycle parking spaces are proposed on site. No vehicle parking spaces are proposed.

The proposed development is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2014) and conforms with the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (2019). The proposal represents an appropriate redevelopment of the site, significant heritage conservation, and a built form and public realm that is compatible with the surrounding context.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the Zoning By-law Amendment Application.

Alterations to Designated Heritage Properties, Intention to Designate under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act and Authority to Enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement - 96 Spadina Avenue and 379 and 383 Adelaide Street West

Finally signed up just to remark that many people in this thread would likely be unhappy regardless of the proposal put forward.

People's first complaint - they aren't maintaining the Lorne Building and that it's a tragedy. Then, in the revised proposal the Lorne Building is retained, and people complain it looks hideous. Just goes to show some people will never be happy regardless of what happens. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cressy seemed to provide quite the commendation for Allied and this project. Refreshing to see, considering they've been battling for zoning for two years..

Finally signed up just to remark that many people in this thread would likely be unhappy regardless of the proposal put forward.

People's first complaint - they aren't maintaining the Lorne Building and that it's a tragedy. Then, in the revised proposal the Lorne Building is retained, and people complain it looks hideous. Just goes to show some people will never be happy regardless of what happens. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
There are always going to be those who are right, and those who are wrong! Welcome to UT!

Materials are also now in.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.28.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.29.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.30.10 AM.png

As peculiar as it may seem I like the little building left. I realize some may differ and prefer to say 'Tear it all down New New new!!' It is what one experiences at eye level that is important as a pedestrian.
Which is exactly why I say tear that little building down! I'm very happy about the other two retentions but this one seems ridiculous, it's simply too small to sit comfortably with the rest of the elements here. It's the historic preservation definition of grit in the gilding.

Much better - the structural elements (or cladding around it) look more prominent, better proportioned and less "sloppy". This has got to be one of the oddest building in the city upon completion.

AoD
The glass flybys on the Spadina side are quite good too. I'd love for those masts to get a coat of International Orange but I won't hold my breath for that.

Kind of surprised this isn't getting more attention here considering it's never been done in Canada. The only think I can think of that approaches it across the globe is Holl's Vanke Centre in Shenzhen.

The glass flybys on the Spadina side are quite good too. I'd love for those masts to get a coat of International Orange but I won't hold my breath for that.

Kind of surprised this isn't getting more attention here considering it's never been done in Canada. The only think I can think of that approaches it across the globe is Holl's Vanke Centre in Shenzhen.

I would hope so, and frankly having the structure in International Orange isn't that much of a leap (or all that controversial, considering the target clientele).

In some ways this is even more radical than Holl's Vanke - as a response to a restricted site.

AoD

This is one of those rare proposals that has gotten better in every way with each revision. Things I appreciate: retention of the Lorne Building, which I think is is a lovely little moderne gem and very much worth preserving, more prominent structural expression for the hangers, some texture added to the curtain wall on the new build above, and those little corner cut-outs facing Spadina, which really help break up the massing. And the terracotta down at street level, of course!

Back