Toronto 96 Spadina | 69.5m | 16s | Allied | Sweeny &Co

The Lorne Building will now be conserved in situ and will "function as the principal entrance to the lobby of the new building" according to updated docs:

54y3gser.JPG
42rwes.JPG
5y43erfd.JPG
6uy4rt.JPG
5u6rthd.JPG

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4295858

This retention of the Lorne Building is hysterical preservation, not historical… not when the heritage building looks so entirely overwhelmed. It becomes a sad joke at this point, reducing respect for more substantial retentions such as 379 Adelaide to the immediate east.

Ya know, I'm OK with the retention of the Lorne Building, if only because it adds some finer grain to the ground floor frontage. Narrow buildings are an endangered species and they aren't making any more of them.

(Though the treatment with a revolving door directly into the office lobby is pretty silly.)

Elevation from the Architectural Plan:

1546537965237.png

(Allied/S&Co)

I am relatively agnostic about preserving the Lorne Building facade - what I would like to see is an extension of the "hanger" to the roofline of 96 Spadina - the asymmetry doesn't read right. Also - too many discreet volumes and steppings in the addition - a parallelepiped would be far more distinctive.

AoD

Looks like a giant stubby ship or tugboat held over the existing building.
Would be great if it see-saw back and forth from that mast, like it was rocking over waves.

63423q.JPG
123rqwa.JPG
532rwad.JPG
53y473w2.JPG
32rfas.JPG

Looks like this one is more or less approved? Ahead of this in their pipeline they do have their King and Brant project and QRC West Phase II so I wouldn't expect it to start anytime soon.

On a side note, an additional 2.9M of square foot here to be rezoned is pretty insane. I really wonder where they're planning to intensify given their current assemblies.

From Allied's July Investor's update.

I would imagine that Allied resubmitted now so that reports can be written and this can go on the first council agenda after the summer break.

Back