Toronto 89 Avenue Yorkville | 76.5m | 20s | Armour Heights | Richard Wengle

The planning documents indicates that the tower will be "bluff limestone" or precast. The base will be mostly bluff limestone, with marble and granite being used on the darker detail trimmings.

S'cute!

IMG_8182.jpg

I love the work that the Richard Wengle firm does. If only we had more Wengle's compared to IBI, G+C, and the rest of the trash Toronto architect firms.

Errrmmm...he can really fluctuate. A lot of his stuff is downright horrid, but then much of his new work has stepped up. I think, as with many developments (and as is often the case with Wengle's work), materials and details will really make or break this. Looks promising though!

Errrmmm...he can really fluctuate. A lot of his stuff is downright horrid, but then much of his new work has stepped up. I think, as with many developments (and as is often the case with Wengle's work), materials and details will really make or break this. Looks promising though!

Yeah, I was going to say -- I'm not sure where the love-in for Wengle is coming from; to me, he's at best a poor man's Robert Stern (and, even at that, you wouldn't want a city full of Robert Stern buildings).

I'll trifle, too, with the lumping in of IBI with G+C -- the former has been putting out some really solid designs recently, while the latter is most definitely one of the worst firms in the city, and will also note that there are some excellent Toronto-based firms: Shim Sutcliffe; Batay-Csorba; Suulin Architects; KPMB; RDH; SvN; Superkul, gh3; and aA and HPA (despite some misses for each with bad developers), just to name a few.

There are most definitely a whole lot of Toronto developers who don't care enough about design, though -- it's them to whom the lion's share of the blame should be directed (though the Kirkors, GPAs, G+Cs, and Turner Fleischers of the world can certainly set off into the sun).

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say -- I'm not sure where the love-in for Wengle is coming from; to me, he's at best a poor man's Robert Stern (and, even at that, you wouldn't want a city full of Robert Stern buildings).

I'll trifle, too, with the lumping in of IBI with G+C -- the former has been putting out some really solid designs recently, while the latter is most definitely one of the worst firms in the city, and will also note that there are some excellent Toronto-based firms: Shim Sutcliffe; Batay-Csorba; Suulin Architects; KPMB; RDH; SvN; Superkul, gh3; aA and HPA (despite some misses for each with bad developers), just to name a few.

There are most definitely a whole lot of Toronto developers who don't care enough about design, though -- it's them to whom the lion's share of the blame should be directed (though the Kirkors, GPAs, G+Cs, and Turner Fleischers of the world can certainly set off into the sun).
Beyond marketing / sales bumf, it's a majority, unfortunately.

I'll trifle, too, with the lumping in of IBI with G+C -- the former has been putting out some really solid designs recently, while the latter is most definitely one of the worst firms in the city, and will also note that there are some excellent Toronto-based firms: Shim Sutcliffe; Batay-Csorba; Suulin Architects; KPMB; RDH; SvN; Superkul, gh3; and aA and HPA (despite some misses for each with bad developers), just to name a few.

Sure IBI has stepped up their game for the pretty horrid designs they had in the past, but in my opinion not by much really. G+C as we all know is just a joke of an architect firm, if they want to call themselves that.

As for the rest of Toronto firms that you listed, they all do very good work in their own rights. Unfortunately, it's the trash firms that seem to be getting a lot of work in the city's most prominent locations.

is this 20 or 23 storeys as that's what all the marketing material shows?
What the marketing material shows or what it says?
The renderings show a 20-storey building, which is backed up by planning documents.
I'm assuming they're skipping a few levels to come up with 23. I'd guess 4, 13, and 14 aren't counted.

Back