Toronto 89 Avenue Yorkville | 76.5m | 20s | Armour Heights | Richard Wengle

I won't speak for others, but personally, I hate most attempts at faux historicism, I don't think the style fits in well in this part of Yorkville, and if you're going to do it, you should probably hire Robert Stern.
I welcome faux historicism, Toronto is lacking in some of the more interesting buildings of the early 1900’s it need some old world feel in some places around the city. I find these keep the glass towers anchored. And add something other then glass towers.

Anything less than limestone with proper detailing would be unacceptable here. Want a retro building? Fine. Use retro cladding with retro craftsmanship.

Honestly, I am so tired of glass boxes that I'm relieved to see mediocre precast Stern facsimiles anywhere in this city. Shame that this one's in Yorkville where there's quite a few of them.

I won't speak for others, but personally, I hate most attempts at faux historicism, I don't think the style fits in well in this part of Yorkville, and if you're going to do it, you should probably hire Robert Stern.

My issue with faux historicism is that almost all the attempts at it in Toronto are executed poorly. There are cities all over the world that are very good at it. If this matches the quality and attention to detail seen outside Canada I have zero problem with it.

Not sure why a developer is using FREED's old renderings on their website. That's not the project going at this address anymore.

The developer is opening up a sales center on Cumberland for this project.
20190823_131550.jpg

Project website, sales being released this Spring 2020:

1581361654610.png

Project website, sales being released this Spring 2020:

View attachment 230306

Marble?

Back