Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

This is odd...

2 :: Toronto
Best : #1 in quality of living, clean air, business trip index, skyscraper construction, and sports and leisure, #2 in entrepreneurial environment

Worst : Third last in cost of public transportation

Details: Toronto is a "beta" city, the authors say, because it's not considered a part of the conversation with London, Paris, and New York for greatest city in the world. But it has all the building blocks of a superlative international city, beginning with smart ideas about sustainability and innovation.

Are they for real? I think Toronto has some of the cheapest public transit? Where in the world can they buy a token and travel anywhere in one direction? I suppose if you think "short distance" it may be expensive, but long distances are cheap.

Loving the drawing for this! Makes up for the horrible one for 501 Yonge..

It all depends on the materials, but I have a lot of hope! If they use the same stone and glass as the building that's there now, it will turn out quite well IMO.

This is odd...

Are they for real? I think Toronto has some of the cheapest public transit? Where in the world can they buy a token and travel anywhere in one direction? I suppose if you think "short distance" it may be expensive, but long distances are cheap.

Cost of public transit is quite expensive here. Just look up the fare of one trip compared to other major cities.

Especially monthly passes. NYC, is around 87 dollars/month. Toronto 126/month. Way more expensive, and yes NYC you can travel extremely far in any direction for one fare.

When I passed by 40 Scott / 10 Wellington East yesterday ( sorry, I didn't realize there was already a thread on this one ) and saw the rendering, I didn't think to comment on the proposal, given how these early proposals can differ from the finished design ( the rendering on the board that went up ages ago outside Backstage, for instance ). If the dithery look appeals to you, it's no less appealing than neighbours London on the Esplanade and Berczy are, I suppose ... with a bit of 1 King West thrown in for good measure.

Especially monthly passes. NYC, is around 87 dollars/month. Toronto 126/month. Way more expensive, and yes NYC you can travel extremely far in any direction for one fare.

Tokyo metro pass (valid on metro line only) 1 month 16,820 yen (around $168)
Seoul and HK has no monthly pass. They charge by distance travelled. They do have cards you can refill with money.
Paris I don't think has monthly passes? Their prices seem to vary depending on the zone travelled.
London monthly passes vary by region travelled as well ranging from £106.00 - £193.60

Ramako, thank god you're not at the helm of any architecture firm.
Waterpark City, Maple Leaf Square & Museum House are just fine.
Is everyone a critic these days?

The likes of Chris Hume seem to think that Maple Leaf Square is fine.

Tokyo metro pass (valid on metro line only) 1 month 16,820 yen (around $168)
Seoul and HK has no monthly pass. They charge by distance travelled. They do have cards you can refill with money.
Paris I don't think has monthly passes? Their prices seem to vary depending on the zone travelled.
London monthly passes vary by region travelled as well ranging from £106.00 - £193.60

Why not compare cities within the continent? Our subway system pales in comparison to the cities you listed.

this could go either way ... all depends on materials used, etc.

look at Uptown vs. BSN for comparison ... i believe both were designed as art deco but vary dramatically in execution in colour. choice of materials, etc.

Koops65 at SSP has created a diagram for 40 Scott, based on the elevations:

ScreenShot097.jpg

Back