Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

Nice proportions and details. It looks the old-new podium blends in very well. This is bang on for what should go up here.

The 40 Scott elevation drawings look decent and promising. The podium fits right in with other older financial district buildings. And if rebuilt and executed properly, it should look even better than the current mish-mash art-deco building that currently stands there. I'm also glad to see setbacks and use of stone on the tower.

The elevations look great, but the cladding will make or break this building. I'm not optimistic considering our city's recent track record with these materials.

What I really appreciate is the respect for the handsome existing building. Here are some pics from Mustapha's Toronto Then & Now thread:

Scott and Wellington, looking north north west
The 'new' building already has a nice patina.
fo1231_f1231_it0757.jpg

DSCF1125.jpg

Last edited:
Waterpark City, and all its nebulous green-glassed brethern along the waterfront, are some of the worst towers to have ever gone up in this city, aside from the slabs in St. James Town.

No thanks.

Comparing Waterpark City to St James Town is silly. I think the green used on Waterpark City is great and the towers look good.

Finally, something different. The smarter developers should be starting to deviate from the windex-coloured rectilinear to attract more discriminating buyers, and this figures as evidence. Hopefully we've reached a watershed. I also see a lot of Trump (which I don't mind) in this tower, which I don't mind. May be the start of a new trend of Toronto architecture with split personalities, a watered down postmodernism that is not awesome on its own but could help more ambitious design get its foot in the door.

To me it looks like a cross between Trump (the mixture of various cladding materials) and Uptown (the setbacks and overall look), but promises to be better than either. All of the peripheral information is good, i.e. the good reputation of the developer for high-quality projects, and the use of the existing building not only as a podium (minus the top two storeys, which were a later addition and will be removed) but as a source for design cues, resulting in an entire building that looks like it was designed at the same time as the podium.

While I do not rely only on the initial line elevations, and hence will wait for the renders before making a final decision, everything I know so far suggests that this will be a future gem on the skyline. (As opposed to 501 Yonge, which is almost the exact opposite of this building as far as I can tell.)

Comparing Waterpark City to St James Town is silly. I think the green used on Waterpark City is great and the towers look good.

No, they're certainly not as bad as St. James Town, but they are still god awful, and easily the worst things to go up in this city this decade. If you think those green and beige pre-cast blobs are "great" and "look good" then we have such starkly different aesthetic preferences that I won't even bother trying to argue about it. It is what it is.

The elevations look great, but the cladding will make or break this building. I'm not optimistic considering our city's recent track record with these materials.

Same here. I'm loving the shape of the building but bad materials can really be a downer. Uptown is less elegantly shaped than this building but could have still looked good if not for the brutal looking pre-cast.

I really hope my doubts are proven wrong on this one.

At least it looks like someone here is actually trying to design something, rather than just pulling up the property line and hitting the repeat button. Good to see.

Actually, my first thought when I saw this building was Pelli's Carnegie Hall tower in New York. If it could come out even close to that, it could be a real winner.

pelli.jpg

Very nice.
Sadly, it's a little early in the game to get too excited. Wait for the final results after a couple of the NIMBY gong shows are behind us.
Got my fingers crossed that this design holds up though the upcoming neighborhood idiot reviews.

At least it looks like someone here is actually trying to design something, rather than just pulling up the property line and hitting the repeat button. Good to see.

Actually, my first thought when I saw this building was Pelli's Carnegie Hall tower in New York. If it could come out even close to that, it could be a real winner.

That's what I was reminded of when I first looked at the drawings too. I hope it turns out as good as that as well.

BTW ...You kind of scare me CN... Your first, monolithic render, of 501 Yonge turned out to to come true and then your "fanciful and hopeful" use of setbacks for your first render of 40 Scott came true as well....

Can you private me next weeks winning lotto numbers please?

:D

Ramako, thank god you're not at the helm of any architecture firm.
Waterpark City, Maple Leaf Square & Museum House are just fine.
Is everyone a critic these days?

As for this building, still way too early but looking great so far.

Last edited:

Back