Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I like the Art Deco feel to it. Not sure of the tall box on top, but outside of that, a nice change from the banal.

Why can't a lazy-aping of Art Deco still be a valuable style in itself? It doesn't have to accurately copy art-deco, or any other style. It doesn't have to be of the highest quality materials. It doesn't have to conform with any of your or my pre-conceptions. I can just be a building, that many outside this forum actually think is a nice addition to the skyline and area. I get that people here want the best of the best, but be realistic.

I think some debates here mix up the science of architecture with the ART of architecture, and when discussing art... well pretentiousness reigns supreme. I've learned a lot of good SCIENCE from some very clever people on this forum over the years, but increasingly get put off reading due to those who think they "get" the ART more than others.

Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Sure, if I told them to...;) "Peter, make me a red brick deco-moderne building" I'd beg. Bet he would make it a stunner!

Btw, for those insulted by my Yaletown comment, I'm wondering if you have actually lived in Vancouver or have any historic ties to that city?

If not, then....you simply don't know much about what I'm talking about...

In fact I would go out on a limb and say that I have probably lived in more major North American cities for extended periods of time (Toronto being the shortest at 3yrs now) than you and understand what makes a great neighborhood.

PS.(and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, just more at the simple my observations are better than yours bs) ..One doesn't' need to live anywhere to make more open minded observations with a less biased opinion than most of those on this site. My god. I could see some going to africa and without appreciating it, stating it would be nicer if aA had built a building here instead of this hut. It is getting annoying. Could a shoulda woulda, or maybe couldn't have, shouldn't have, wouldn't have. This building hasn't been built, and its the same with 501 yonge, its so difficult to judge fully until something is built. Not to say that it shouldn't be critiqued or discussed, but everyone seems so sure of the result in both cases, and sides have been chosen, and the debate rages about which prima donna knows in their mind what "really good" design should look like.

Last edited:
True, you haven't gone that far. But your idea that: "It offers an interesting form with some playful asymmetry" suggests that you're definitely starved for amusements.

Your confusion is understandable given your admitted inability to discern any original ideas...

How many genuinely new ideas are there, though?

.. or perhaps it's a form of dementia that you view 'shapes' as novel?? Regardless, very sad indeed!

Parkdalian deals very nicely with an issue that inevitably crops up when we're dealing with buildings such as this one, and which I've always found annoying - the tendency to do a bait-and-switch with the subject of the thread and evoke buildings by other architectural firms ( especially aA ) in a triumphalist way as if it means something terribly important.

Let's call it Tewder's Law, a variant on Godwin's Law ( which states that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches". Thus:

What's even more amazing is how jizzed some get over yet another derivative minimalist box... if it were a movie it'd be like watching the same remake over and over... and over again. No matter how mannered the film it's just the same old tired flick after a while.

( Incidentally, I've never argued that all tastes should converge, merely that the amount of design talent put into creating something will be visible for those with eyes to appreciate it ).

I wonder what Albert Speer, Hitler's chief architect, would have designed here?

Back