Toronto 8 Chichester Place | ?m | 20s | Remington Group | BDP Quadrangle

Renderings from Quadrangle Architects. 16 storeys, 210 units, affordable housing.

8Chichester1.jpg

8Chichester2.jpg

anyone know what they are building on the SW corner of sheppard/vic park where the gas station used to be?

Do you mean the South-East corner? If so, then I believe the plans are to put up a new, 1 story Shoppers Drug Mart. In either case, they own that piece of land I believe. Last I heard, they were attempting to incorporate the Johnny's Burger building into the new property....

theoretically if the subway does make Vic Park the new Sheppard Subway terminus arent these designs a little short... SHouldnt the area be looking at building bigger buildings to create the density to justify a Subway extension...

I would call 17 storeys great density - point towers don't build good avenues. On that note...

At the next intersection to the East (Warden and Sheppard), official recommendations have been made by a consultancy and a neighborhood working group about how to implement the 'City of Toronto Official Plan'. I highly recommend you look through the PDF for the vision, which is really exciting:

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/sheppardeast_consultants_15june10.pdf

The problem is I have a hard time imagining all these places can be getting redeveloped.. Eventually we are going to run out of CONDO buyers....

Heres the list of areas being Redeveloped

1. DOWNSVIEW PARC
2. Liberty Village
3. Yonge Eglinton
4. Eastern WaterFront
5. Lawrence Heights Redevelopement...
6. Eglinton Crosstown LRT development (Dufferin Eglinton, Bayview Eglinton, Laird, Bathurst Eglinton)
7. St. Clair West redevelopment
8. Warden????????????????

The development that you can't foresee is already happening. However, it's happening in a sprawling uncontrolled way.

This is about priorities, something we heard a lot about in last night's leaders debate. Instead of allowing for unintelligent and uncontrolled development, plans have been drawn up for all of those areas you listed. Plus, luckily, the Warden+Sheppard plan isn't only about condos, its also for retail and social space...

I appreciate that their is actually a PLAN versus developers just doing whatever they want where ever they want.. Still I remain Skeptical of how many buyers there really are... If we are talking 50 years from now ok.. But Im thinking all these areas cant be 80% complete within 20 years... I would love to be proved wrong tho... If ZERO development happened in Caledon Milton Markham Pickering WHitby Sauga then I could believe this is actually possible..

anyone know what they are building on the SW corner of sheppard/vic park where the gas station used to be?

Do you mean the South-East corner? If so, then I believe the plans are to put up a new, 1 story Shoppers Drug Mart. In either case, they own that piece of land I believe. Last I heard, they were attempting to incorporate the Johnny's Burger building into the new property....

The site got approved for a 3 or 4 storey professional office building with ground floor retail (for Shoppers Drug Mart). The City really wanted the site to be developed with the Johnny's property but Johnny's has not been willing to sell (thankfully, though I am biased having grown up nearby and been eating there forever). It would be better if the two site would be developed together (since the site under construction wraps around Johnny's) but that's not currently happening.

Report for UrbanToronto by Tyler Greenleaf:

Thanks to a building boom when towers-in-the-park style developments were the only way to go, Toronto was left with hundreds of tall apartment buildings surrounded by large swaths of open space.

As the city looks to add residential and commercial intensification within its borders, these spaces provide opportunities for growth with infill development. (Much of this is covered as part of the City's Tower Renewal Project). An interesting new example of infill development that we will likely see more of is 8 Chichester Place, a 16-storey tower on Sheppard, east of Victoria Park, and originally designed as 'Perfect Ten Condominiums' by Quadrangle Architects.

With 8 Chichester, Quadrangle focuses on the maximization of a three-acre site. The proposed development mixes the new high-rise into the surrounding landscape of 1970s tower-in-the-park apartments.

"My challenge as an architect is to intensify an area by erecting a new building without cramping the site,” says Sheldon Levitt, principal, Quadrangle Architects. He explains, “I look to find the perfect balance between light, space and order while maximizing a site and accounting for future populations.”

As well as providing 210 new affordable rental units, the construction of 8 Chichester Place will offer improvements to the existing 35-year-old apartment building, further extending the positive impact of the development to its surroundings. The building will meet the City's Green Building Standards and will incorporate environmentally progressive features including heating and cooling from a geothermal plant to lower energy consumption.

This project will extend to the sidewalk and is designed to be pedestrian-focused, revitalizing the streetscape. While this stretch of Sheppard Avenue is wide and features parking lots, this new building should help to improve the overall neighbourhood experience.
Both the public and private sectors are working together on this project. Public funds [hyperlink: http://www.toronto.ca/affordablehousing/pdf/8_chichester.pdf were primarily supported through the provincial and federal governments with a portion of the funding provided by the Affordable Housing Office of the City of Toronto. Rental rates in this building will be controlled for a number of years based on CMHC averages.
This project is jointly owned by the Remington Group and the Brown Group of companies, and is managed by the Brown Group.

Last edited:

Back