Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

Replacing concrete poles with "Victorian ones is 'possible' (of course) but probably not unless someone (the BIA) pays for them. THSL won't and the developer was not forced to do so via the site plan.
They should've been required to do so. Planning in this city drives me crazy. It's not that hard... just make developers follow public realm plans and urban design guidelines. Although, I think Council recently had a motion to City Planning to make developers follow the St. Lawrence BIA Master Plan for their public realm designs... although I'm not sure how that would be achieved without new policies. As we've seen in this city, encouraging developers (to do even the cheapest of things) doesn't work and we often get an inconsistent public realm.

They should've been required to do so. Planning in this city drives me crazy. It's not that hard... just make developers follow public realm plans and urban design guidelines. Although, I think Council recently had a motion to City Planning to make developers follow the St. Lawrence BIA Master Plan for their public realm designs... although I'm not sure how that would be achieved without new policies. As we've seen in this city, encouraging developers (to do even the cheapest of things) doesn't work and we often get an inconsistent public realm.
You are quite correct that the City public realm plans (or aspirations?) are completely divorced from reality. The City streetscape manual is a lovely document that nobody (City departments or developers) seems to pay any attention to it and the street-lighting is run by Toronto Hydro whose contract calls for "the basics'. Even if a developer is forced to install 'better' street-lighting, THSL is not forced to maintain it and may, in fact, refuse to hook it up. (This happened on the Yonge St side of the L-Tower where the developer installed short Victorians but THSL refused to connect them because they were below the 'canopy' and against Code so they were removed.) I agree with you that, though the St Lawrence BIA Master Plan (another lovely document) may have been accepted by the City but .....

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. There are so many roadblocks to making this city better!
You are quite correct that the City public realm plans (or aspirations?) are completely divorced from reality.
Sadly. Another aspect is maintenance and the utility companies that mess everything up after it's built, only to rebuild to a much lower standard... or no standard at all. Also, Complete Streets aren't implemented for every project due to staff and funding shortages, but Mike Layton recently requested for that to be changed so that Complete Streets are the default, with a report to Council in 2023.
Even if a developer is forced to install 'better' street-lighting, THSL is not forced to maintain it and may, in fact, refuse to hook it up. (This happened on the Yonge St side of the L-Tower where the developer installed short Victorians but THSL refused to connect them because they were below the 'canopy' and against Code so they were removed.)
I wonder how this happens if TSHL provides input on development applications. Maybe they don't provide adequate comments or say everything is good during the approval stage, and then change their minds after the development is built.
I agree with you that, though the St Lawrence BIA Master Plan (a lovely document) may have been accepted by the City but .....
But what? Are there any reasons for that not work? If we get a good new agreement with Toronto Hydro, we should get Victorians for this area.

Jan 29, 2022

20220129_143759.jpg
20220130_153840.jpg

The design of the mechanical penthouse is seriously lacking. It looks ghastly from some perspectives. It's too heavy and overbearing. It doesn't engage with the architectural motifs of the tower.

The old Novotel hotel on the Esplanade will be missed if demolished for its stately and grand streetscape. Demolition should be a non-starter.

75 on The Esplande at 2A Church St.
They should be able to finish the building this year and make it onto the nominee list for the UT annual best new buildings awards. The pool was tented in for a few months for some tile work. Other visible items to complete; the lower level canopy glass & cladding and some vertical trim for the roof top mechanical room.
We can only hope for a new retail tenant but I’m sure the neighbours at 45 are delaying any leasing considerations.

955FC6AA-09CC-436F-A7DB-49018985CD55.jpeg

B7C45FFC-D007-4C5F-9F5E-998E217A603B.jpeg

B22968DF-EDB4-4D0E-92A2-D4C0127AADE5.jpeg

42D53003-4405-4B29-969E-9B1424C66A51.jpeg

B6258584-5EF0-4EE8-8274-252DA8F4553D.jpeg

The dog pad is a nice touch.
6B09BB67-868A-42D3-B412-1F8D386C1AF4.jpeg

The art wall is still looking good. Maybe they didn’t need that wall pack light installed.
86D14AFE-5B75-43CE-BA47-09DC3A1D2E23.jpeg

Attachments

• 49D4C2AB-14B2-49DC-AC4F-3D89F1221E90.jpeg
    49D4C2AB-14B2-49DC-AC4F-3D89F1221E90.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 62

Back