Toronto 45 The Esplanade | 128.85m | 39s | Republic | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Application into the AIC to redevelop this site for a 36s tower.

1640851369461.png

Streetview:

1640851480486.png

Yup, this site, right next to 75 Esplanade! (appears to be for the low rise portion only)

Full Credit to @DSC who told us all that this was in the works.

Aerial Pic:

1640851642129.png

Site Size: 0.4ha/1 acre

They better not build some modern looking structures on top of this building! At least some art deco style buildings if anything !
I do not think they plan to build 'on top', the current (shelter) hotel will be demolished (presumably right up to the driveway that leads to the parking for the 25 The Esplanade condo (MTCC 850) - the 1980s era 'bull-nosed high-rise west of the new Backstage) . This should mean we get a proper sidewalk on that stretch of The Esplanade.

I’m sorry to hear about this, though I can understand why the land is considered too valuable for a low rise structure. I have always loved arcades I think they are not only decorative but useful in a city with hot summers and snowy or rainy winters. We don’t have enough of them, IMO. Nor do we have enough Art Deco style architecture in my view, even if it is imitation Art Deco.

I’m sorry to hear about this, though I can understand why the land is considered too valuable for a low rise structure. I have always loved arcades I think they are not only decorative but useful in a city with hot summers and snowy or rainy winters. We don’t have enough of them, IMO. Nor do we have enough Art Deco style architecture in my view, even if it is imitation Art Deco.
The problem in Toronto with 'arcades" (like 25 & 45 The Esplanade) or 'covered overhangs" like 75 The Esplanade or London Lofts (38 The Esplanade) is that the covered space is usually the property of the property owner so it can be occupied with 'stuff' (store displays, patios etc) or they put up fences to prevent people using these, useful, walkways. I also like them but, if the City insists on them they also need to ensure they are usable!

I don't recall - is the colonnade clad with real stone? Anyways - slightly OT - but looking at the site on Google Map the St. Lawrence Garage looks super-ripe for development.

AoD
There has certainly been talk of CreateTO and the TPA redeveloping the garage site to add housing on top of it (or rebuild completely with a parking garage and housing above). If the hotel site is going to be demolished that might move the idea forward?

I would say the colonnade is NOT real stone but it looks pretty good to me.

1640884738615.png

I’ve always liked the loggia and am saddened to see it go if that is the intention. I agree that it would be great if we had more of these in Toronto for shade and snow /ice etc. It is also sad that as this pandemic continues and is bringing about the demise of hotels and associated employment and tourism dollars plus the idea that a building that is not very old and is interesting ,in my opinion, may fall to the wrecking ball for who knows what?

I’ve always liked the loggia and am saddened to see it go if that is the intention. I agree that it would be great if we had more of these in Toronto for shade and snow /ice etc. It is also sad that as this pandemic continues and is bringing about the demise of hotels and associated employment and tourism dollars plus the idea that a building thaT is not very old and is interesting ,in my opinion, may fall to the wrecking ball for who knows what?
If anything clean and patch the outside and renovate the inside, build the tower on the backside of this building! They don't build buildings like this anymore it's time comsuming and cost too much!

Back