Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

Jarvis is really busy in this area (Adelaide to Lake Shore) especially during rush hour as people try to get to and from the Gardiner. Church is actually fairly quiet all the time. Opening Church to Lake Shore for cars would certainly help Jarvis but would add traffic to those living on Church. Would change the dynamics of the area considerably. Market Wharf people might get a break from people leaving the Green P parking garage and passing through their building on the way to Jarvis.

75 THE ESPLANADE
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for site plan approval for a 24 storey mixed use building consisting of 1,426 sq m of retail and 350 residential dwelling units, and 3 storeys of underground parking
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 15 120721 STE 28 SA Feb 24, 2015 Under Review
Rezoning 15 120727 STE 28 OZ Feb 24, 2015 Under Review

Too bad it's not a bit taller. Looking forward to what this will look like, and more retail in the area.
Yes, another coffee shop, a dry cleaner and a small convenience store are just what we need! We will never get 'better' retail if developers continue to build tiny commercial spaces and this will never be a major 'walk-by' block so unless it is a 'destination store' - like an LCBO - you will not get enough traffic to justify anything more.

Why worry about the retail if it isn't a 'walk-by' block? Though not exactly sexy these small businesses (dry cleaners, corner shops, markets, pharmacies, banks etc) make the city more liveable. Besides, specialty retail will always fare better when clustered together.

Yes, another coffee shop, a dry cleaner and a small convenience store are just what we need! We will never get 'better' retail if developers continue to build tiny commercial spaces and this will never be a major 'walk-by' block so unless it is a 'destination store' - like an LCBO - you will not get enough traffic to justify anything more.

What tiny commercial spaces? This is going to have over 13,000 square feet of retail space. They'd need a dozen dry cleaners and convenience stores to fill that up. I'd wager that it'll be a sit-down restaurant.

What tiny commercial spaces? This is going to have over 13,000 square feet of retail space. They'd need a dozen dry cleaners and convenience stores to fill that up. I'd wager that it'll be a sit-down restaurant.
We can certainly hope part of it will be a restaurant/bar - my comments were aimed at the posting looking for 'more retail' and we have only seen rather generic retailers setting up in other new developments recently.

Ha, what?!! “[C]ontinue to build tiny commercial spaces”? It’s the exact opposite: retail in new developments is way too big. Whereas on streets replete with old retail—Queen West, Kensington, etc.—stores are narrow and go far back from the street, recent stores are almost block-long banalities, which leads to banks and Starbucks occupying every single new retail space (and one or two stores where in older areas there would be ten).

I like it for the most part, but I was really hoping they'd extend that covered sidewalk and arches (not sure of the architectural term for it) to Church Street.

Back