Toronto 655 Queen West | 34.2m | 9s | Trinity Group | Teeple Architects

Pics from June 28, 2019

DSC07390.JPG

DSC07391.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3373.jpeg

Great way to ruin an iconic corner of the city. What a horrible design. Isn't this supposed to be the heart of Queen west. You've got one corner left without a nice brick heritage building and you want to make it look like a utilitarian drab tacky box? Does anyone here know if there's a way one can petition the city to make the developer do this iconic location justice?

The city doesn't generally concern itself with aesthetics unless they conflict with planning policy. In the post above yours, you can read the city's preliminary report, which mentions all the planning policies that this development will be evaluated against, as well as the name and contact info for the planner working this file.

Honestly, based on the info to date, this design seems inoffensive at worst. It's probably better than 75% of the stuff getting built in TO. If I were you, I'd save my energy for more worthy targets of architectural criticism.

Great way to ruin an iconic corner of the city. What a horrible design. Isn't this supposed to be the heart of Queen west. You've got one corner left without a nice brick heritage building and you want to make it look like a utilitarian drab tacky box? Does anyone here know if there's a way one can petition the city to make the developer do this iconic location justice?
Yes, this 'iconic' Pizza Pizza is certainly deserving of something more! Heritage designation, perhaps?

Architectural interpretation can be subjective, and focus should be placed towards the future grade level and retail experience, but I shed no tear for the current built form of this corner. None of the buildings involved for this redevelopment holds any significance.

Event Information: 655-663 Queen Street West and 178 Bathurst Street - Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time:Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
A Zoning By-law Amendment application at 655-663 Queen Street West and 178 Bathurst Street proposes to redevelop the site with an 8-storey mixed-use building containing 68 residential units and retail on the ground floor. This application has been appealed to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (Case #PL200292)

Approved in principle at LPAT/OLT:

Timbertrin (Queen Bathurst) LP v Toronto (City), 2021 CanLII 49345 (ON LT)

Revised proposal:
  • [1] The Parties brought a Settlement for the consideration of the Tribunal in order to permit the lands known municipally as 655-663 Queen Street West, together with 178 Bathurst Street, to be redeveloped with an architecturally articulated nine storey mid rise building to be erected on the subject corner site in general keeping with the established and evolving campus of mid-rise buildings ranging in heights up to (9) nine stories along this portion of Queen Street West
  • [2] The 76 unit building was revised to redistribute the massing to better achieve public realm aspirations and transition to the lower existing heights immediately to the west, while addressing urban design objectives, using the Mid Rise Urban Design Guidelines as a helpful, although not explicitly applicable, tool
  • [3] Given that Bathurst Street is the wider of the two frontages, the highest heights are massed to reflect that 30.5 metres right-of-way, with the building stepping down to lesser heights as it continues west.

• [10] The Tribunal orders that the appeals are allowed in part, and the draft Zoning By-Law Amendments filed as Exhibits “H” and “I” of Exhibit 1 are approved in principle. The Tribunal withholds its final order until such time as being advised that the Conditions set out in paragraph 9 of this decision have been satisfied.

Updated architectural plans & renderings from Jun. 24 resubmission:

Teeple Architects: 9 storeys

1624607754335.png

Some notable revisions include:
  • Height increased from 8 to 9 storeys
  • Total number of residential units increased from 68 to 76
  • Total retail GFA reduced from 919 sq. m to 899 sq. m
  • Total residential GFA increased from 4,841 sq. m to 4,903 sq. m
Development Applications

Last edited:
Sigh Teeple. One of the most iconic corners of the city, the hear of cool, eclectic, artistic world renowned Queen West, and you propose that ugly orange monstrosity? Don't you listen to what people say at the public consultations. No flair nor harmony with the surrounding heritage buildings and brick. Were I the head partners, I would be axing the leads on this one.

Back