Toronto 5800 Yonge | 173.23m | 54s | Times Group | Wallman Architects

I don't like the lack of variety among the 4 towers. Only noticeable difference from street level will likely be the height. Although I guess the curvy design will stand as nice contrast to the generally blocky high-rises in the area.

Additionally, I wished there was more commercial at the bottom. This area north of Yonge will definitely be busy following the rapid addition of 9 high-rises between here and AoYuan's M2M across the street.

I just cringed so hard my face might be permanently contorted. What poor taste.

I've never been known for good taste,...

Out of 200 residents at Willowdale Welcome Centre located at 5800 Yonge, there is a 90%+ Covid-19 infection rate! "The refugee centre had opened in the fall. It housed about 200 men and women on separate floors",... "The refugee centre became the location with the highest number of infections in the city’s shelter system, which includes 72 locations. As of Wednesday, 185 clients had tested positive for COVID-19, and more than a dozen staff. No one has died."
source: "How a haven for refugees became home to the worst COVID-19 outbreak in Toronto’s shelter system" (google title if you hit Toronto Star paywall)

5800 Yonge is a local Covid-19 epicentre, facilitating community spread,... the neighbourhood where 5800 Yonge is located has 4-9 times more cases of Covid-19 VS other nearby neighbourhoods in Willowdale.
Toronto Public Health made these neighbourhood map with daily updated data available since late May:
- black numbers from May 28
- red numbers from July 1
- first set of number is per 100,000 residents (more apple to apple comparison since population per neighbourhood)
- second set of number is case number
Note: Personally, I believe the actually numbers are 10 folds higher! Assumptions - based on fatality of 1% compared to new case number 21 days prior (average duration from infection to death).
IMG_4165c5800YongeJuly1.jpg
Click on Tab: "Covid-19 Toronto Neighbourhood Map"https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-1...nto-news/covid-19-status-of-cases-in-toronto/

When it comes time for demolition,... instead of knocking down the site, they might want to consider burning it down.

It's actually really interesting inside, having inspected it prior to its converted new use. The control room was the best part.

Preliminary Report for this one is headed to the next NYCC meeting on September 10th, 2020.

From said report:

On a preliminary basis, issues of concern with regards to site organization and built form include:•Demonstrating how the proposed buildings and site design relate to the existing and/or planned context, including the proposed density and scale of development;
•Whether the heights, density and massing of the proposed buildings are appropriate;
•Alignment of the 26 metre wide Beecroft Road extension with adjacent approved developments and impacts on the proposed built form;
•Configuration of the required new 20 metre east-west public street and related public realm; •Configuration of the intersection of the Beecroft Road extension and the new public east-west street;
•The appropriateness of the east-west private street and courtyard area;
•Organization of the site at grade including:•locations and width of private streets;
•location and size of open space on site;
•location and configuration of ground floor uses including retail units along Yonge Street; office and residential lobbies; potential community facilities; and, amenity areas;
•relationship of the proposed buildings, ground floor uses, and private driveway to the 3 metre wide pedestrian easement on the adjacent property to the north;
•the need for a midblock connection linking Yonge Street with the western towers;
•location and configuration of loading and underground parking accesses;
•building base configuration, setbacks and relationship to adjacent public streets and open spaces; and
•Streetscape design for new public and private streets.

Since borders are closed due to Pandemic, there's no new refugee/asylum-seekers and the previous ones have moved on. Since the Fall, Home First Society has been using the Willowdale Welcome Centre on this site as a Homeless Shelter.

LOL, behind the scenes, Geoff Kettel and FONTRA are trying to get this thing designated heritage.

I only wish I could LOL at Geoff Kettel’s antics,......he & his North York Preservation Panel has been holding up Doris Ave South Extension for years and forced City to design Doris-Sheppard as inefficient 4-signal-phase “interim” Offset Intersection that nobody wants,... all to preserve a “mound of dirt” that they claim has historical/cultural/architectural significance - at privately owned Moorehead Park.

5800Yonge_OriginalTofA.PNG

From the Terms Of Agreement purchase of this land from City, there was originally a larger "Proposed 5800 Yonge Park Dedication" (everything west of Beecroft extension) ,... conceptualized to be a dog park - near Finch Hydro Corridor-trail, not near residential,.... but,...
- the high-density North York Centre Secondary Plan area is desperately short of local school capacity (many condo kids bused out of area for school)
- Province won't allow City's Toronto District School Board to increase local school capacity since TDSB has excess capacity (empty & half-empty schools) elsewhere in their system
- Toronto Catholic District School Board is allowed to increase local capacity since they don't have excess capacity elsewhere and are controlled by Province
- Land conveyed to City as Parkland Dedication will become parkland,... and as such can not have redevelopment on them - even school development!
- Current development process doesn't allow any development charge/fee to go towards school system - Developer can't convey land to School system like they can convey land for park!

Thus, the current proposal for Times Group 5800 Yonge has split the originally larger "Proposed 5800 Yonge Park Dedication" (image above) into a smaller "Proposed 5800 Yonge Park Dedication" and "Proposed 5800 Yonge 'Open Space' " (image below) where the "Other Space" is "reserved" for Toronto Catholic District School Board to "purchase" the land to build a new Elementary School - especially important given all the intensification happening in the area!
NOTE: the Toronto Catholic District School Board new elementary school is NOT a done deal yet! Quite likely to complete as Times Group 5800 Yonge progress through development application process,.... this elementary school could have a very generous school yard / park with the addition of "Proposed 5800 Yonge Park Dedication" and "Proposed Inez Court Park Dedication"!

5800Yonge_SchoolPark.png

original image source: development application architectural docs

Last edited:
@sunnyraytoronto, Do you happen to know what's the plan for the below vacant land in between 5800 and 5760? And will the Hydro transformer station be relocated? given so many planned Condo projects around. Thanks.

1620759042635.png

@sunnyraytoronto, Do you happen to know what's the plan for the below vacant land in between 5800 and 5760? And will the Hydro transformer station be relocated? given so many planned Condo projects around. Thanks.

That vacant land is 5760 Yonge - former site of Ontario Hydro building demolished about 20 years ago and likely still provincial land; not to be confused with 5800 Yonge former site of NorthYork/Toronto Hydro building.

I'm not aware of any plans from Hydro One to relocate their transformer station

That vacant land is 5760 Yonge - former site of Ontario Hydro building demolished about 20 years ago and likely still provincial land; not to be confused with 5800 Yonge former site of NorthYork/Toronto Hydro building.

I'm not aware of any plans from Hydro One to relocate their transformer station
Thanks Sunnyray. I'm just curious, as both 5800 and M2M have this piece of land pictured as a green space, but I don't see it labeled as a park anywhere.

Heading to OMB/OLT. Times Group is revising 5800 Yonge,... likely for Double the allowable Density,... likely 3 years at OMB/OLT, followed by another 2 years for Building Permits,.... thus, expect the Willowdale Welcome Centre Homeless Shelter to remain here until at least until September 30, 2026

5800Yonge_OMBRevision.png

source:

Heading to OMB/OLT. Times Group is revising 5800 Yonge,... likely for Double the allowable Density,... likely 3 years at OMB/OLT, followed by another 2 years for Building Permits,.... thus, expect the Willowdale Welcome Centre Homeless Shelter to remain here until at least until September 30, 2026

View attachment 379730
source:
Wasn't there proposed terms for the sale from Council (Fillion) that they have to follow a certain FSI?

Wasn't there proposed terms for the sale from Council (Fillion) that they have to follow a certain FSI?

And your point is????

I already covered the Terms of Agreement TimesGroup agreed to when purchasing the Toronto/NorthYork Hydro Building land at 5800 Yonge here,....

The Previous Development Application from Times Group followed most of the Terms Of Agreement: Convey land for Beecroft Rd & J-Road, Parkland to west, 3.6FSI Density,... but increased height of 4 towers from agreed upon 29, 29, 29, 31-storey on 5 & 8-storey podium to 34, 37, 38 and 44-storeys on 2 & 4-storey podium - basically same total GFA and same unit count,... they just increased tower height by lowering podium size.

Just because a Developer buys land from City of Toronto,... that doesn't mean the Developer has to follow the Terms of Agreement they agreed to and signed when they brought the land from the City of Toronto! There's no repercussions!!!! What's the City going to do? Refuse the Development Application? So what,... it's going to be decided at OMB/OLT anyways,...

Look down Yonge St,... at 4050 Yonge - northwest corner of Yonge and YorkMills/Wilson where City had a TTC commuter parking lot that City sold cheap at $25m to Gupta with Terms of Agreement for 7-storey Commercial Office and Hotel,... then Gupta turns around and proposed 35-storey condo with 21-storey Hotel/Office,.... got chopped to 28-storey and 14-storey on 5-9-storey podium with Condo unit count increasing from 300 to 656 units, eliminate Hotel,.... way beyond the 7-storey in Terms of Agreement!

Back