Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to a local resident, this property was sold and is to become a condo. Narrow building but I assume they also own the laneway.

Capturecharles.jpg

Attachments

• Capturecharles.jpg
    Capturecharles.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 26,590
looks no more than 60f frontage on Charles.

maybe the purchaser(developer ?) is hoping 55 Charles will come up for sale too.

A friend of mine who lives at 63 Charles told me that this building — and its taller neighbour to the west (55 Charles) have been purchased by Mod, with a 55-storey (ish?) tower planned. This was announced at a residents' meeting a few days ago. Rezoning is apparently expected to be filed next week.

A friend of mine who lives at 63 Charles told me that this building — and its taller neighbour to the west (55 Charles) have been purchased by Mod, with a 55-storey (ish?) tower planned. This was announced at a residents' meeting a few days ago. Rezoning is apparently expected to be filed next week.

Yes, I am a tenant at 61-63 and this is true. Talk of a sale prior to last week was pure speculation, but the deal has now been made. The info given to us at the meeting was as follows:

- Our building and the Charlesview have been purchased by a developer
- They are filing their re-zoning application this week
- The idea is that 100 units in this 50 storey condo that is being proposed will continue to be owned and operated by the current owners
- It is expected to be 1.5 - 2 yrs until demolition
- From there, construction would take approximately 3.5 years
- The developer is Mod Development
- The architect is Alliance

Tenants and members of the community will be watching this very carefully to ensure fairness! It’s just such a shame to see another building with such character torn down for yet another condo.

^ If you're a long term tenant torontocm, it'll be interesting to see what offers they give you. They of course have some legal obligations but sometimes they just want to simply buy you out and be done with you. The people across the street at the Manhattan are going through the same thing.

In my dream world, the new building would take inspiration from the existing building and be a yellow brick Selby with art deco flourishes.... As if aA would ever do that.

In my dream world, the new building would take inspiration from the existing building and be a yellow brick Selby with art deco flourishes.... As if aA would ever do that.

Mod is run by someone that takes architecture quiet seriously. I expect something cool.

He's on the forum so I'm certain he'll be reading this.

I would trade some height here for keeping the existing trees on Charles in place. This street needs to keep some of its greenery.

Back