Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

sorry I have a question regarding the latest update. Is the underground parking built already? I am living at 42 Charles, the noise is just too much. City 311 doesn't really take action unless many ppl complain : S
Hi Christina, the good news is the shoring activity currently going on is the worst noise generator. The bad news is depending on the size of the lot and number of shoring machines I've seen this process last from 3 weeks to 2-3 months. Excavation for the underground parking garage can take 2-6 months depending on how deep/number of levels they go down, basically diesel excavator noise with diesel dump trucks. Upwards construction generally less intermittent noise. I suggest getting some comfortable ear plugs. Sorry for your situation.

I agree that the noise is overwhelming. Many of us are studying/working from home and have no escape from the noise. They have been pretty good not doing any work over the weekend so I was very surprised to hear them start around 8 am today! I guess they are again taking advantage of the noise exemption. Just absolutely no regard for human well-being. Now even the weekend is taken away from people who simply want to keep their windows open during the day and have some fresh air!

From what I understand, the motion to rescind regulation 130/20 has been adopted (http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.MM22.39). Does anybody know if this means they will actually rescind it and when? I got through to 311 and they said there's nothing they can do.

Sept 27, 2020

20200927_101354.jpg
20200927_101356.jpg

Hi Christina, the good news is the shoring activity currently going on is the worst noise generator. The bad news is depending on the size of the lot and number of shoring machines I've seen this process last from 3 weeks to 2-3 months. Excavation for the underground parking garage can take 2-6 months depending on how deep/number of levels they go down, basically diesel excavator noise with diesel dump trucks. Upwards construction generally less intermittent noise. I suggest getting some comfortable ear plugs. Sorry for your situation.

Shoring has been going on for about a month, so hopefully not much longer. I live in 45 on a lower level and face directly at the site.

Thanks to @The Preservationist for the detailed explanation. They are starting to dig on the southeast corner (and are now down about 5 feet from street level).

One small point: shoring has been going on since at least August 20th (see earlier pictures on this thread). So we're approaching 2 months since the shoring began. Given that the digging has started, I imagine that the shoring is nearing its end... hopefully within the next month.

I live on Isabella St, the construction noise is just too much in the morning.
I am moving out, and not gonna live close to Charles St E again in the next 3 years.
Created the account in Urban Toronto just to comment this.

I live on Isabella St, the construction noise is just too much in the morning.
I am moving out, and not gonna live close to Charles St E again in the next 3 years.
Created the account in Urban Toronto just to comment this.
I’m on Isabella and considering moving as well... any leads on neighbourhoods in Toronto without active construction? (Sounds silly, I know...)

I agree that the noise is overwhelming. Many of us are studying/working from home and have no escape from the noise. They have been pretty good not doing any work over the weekend so I was very surprised to hear them start around 8 am today! I guess they are again taking advantage of the noise exemption. Just absolutely no regard for human well-being. Now even the weekend is taken away from people who simply want to keep their windows open during the day and have some fresh air!

From what I understand, the motion to rescind regulation 130/20 has been adopted (http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.MM22.39). Does anybody know if this means they will actually rescind it and when? I got through to 311 and they said there's nothing they can do.

Hello IsabellaDweller. Just noticing this thread. Did you ever find out the status of this motion at City Council? From what I can tell, the matter was referred to Executive Committee, but the trail of bread-crumbs ends there. I am at a different condo, but the situation is the same: 24x7 construction noise. Thanks for your help!

PRAISE THE LORD THE SHORING MACHINE APPEARS TO BE LEAVING.

(just a little excited) :)
Glad to hear you made it through shoring. With only one machine on site it takes a while. The jackhammering might be that they have run into remnants of the old building's concrete foundations while excavating that need to be broken up and hauled away.

Hello IsabellaDweller. Just noticing this thread. Did you ever find out the status of this motion at City Council? From what I can tell, the matter was referred to Executive Committee, but the trail of bread-crumbs ends there. I am at a different condo, but the situation is the same: 24x7 construction noise. Thanks for your help!
Hi there! Yes, I contacted an MP and asked what else we can do. The motion was approved by city council but they can't override provincial regulations, so it's up to the province to rescind it. Apparently many e-mails and calls have been made to Premier Ford about the matter but he has failed to respond or acknowledge them.

Back