Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

3217D0CB-530B-4290-A546-21F9551EE8FE.jpeg

An excavator has been scraping the outside of the claw attachment against concrete walls in the dug-under corner of the lot for the past few days. As you can imagine, it's making a very loud, unpleasant noise.

The thing is that, with each scrape, only a small amount of ground dust is falling off the wall. Are they trying to gently remove the outside walls of the previous structure without causing the wall to cave in? It just seems to be a very inefficient way to knock down a wall.

An excavator has been scraping the outside of the claw attachment against concrete walls in the dug-under corner of the lot for the past few days. As you can imagine, it's making a very loud, unpleasant noise.

The thing is that, with each scrape, only a small amount of ground dust is falling off the wall. Are they trying to gently remove the outside walls of the previous structure without causing the wall to cave in? It just seems to be a very inefficient way to knock down a wall.
How annoying! If past 7PM call 311

^Just as a heads up-- the 311 people mentioned that construction noise is allowed until 10pm as part of the provincial guidelines.

Perhaps someone will let me know otherwise, but a 311 didn't help me last night....

Interesting watching this unfold right next door.

I saw they closed off the only access point into the site and dug that section up. How do the trucks get into the site now to carry the excavated dirt/debris away now?

Interesting watching this unfold right next door.

I saw they closed off the only access point into the site and dug that section up. How do the trucks get into the site now to carry the excavated dirt/debris away now?
no idea at all... interesting thing is they still did wall scraping yesterday, I am living at 42 charles facing south, so I can clearly see their work, seems like there will be a lot of work for building the underground parking lot.

I live on the East side of 45 Charles St E, very close to construction in fact. Wall scraping noise is just too much to bear, how are you supposed to work from home in this noise? Seriously, planning on moving out soon.

You do realize that the building you live in now caused the same amount of noise and frustration for your neighbors when it was built right? The city needs to grow somehow however inconvenient and noisy it may be.

Yes, I do realise that. But I am pretty sure all the residents were able to temporarily handle the situation during the same time because it was not the year/s of Pandemic, and you can go to offices and then spend major chunk of the "noise time" in your work locations.
I just wish people become a little sensitive according to the times we are in.
It's difficult to hear yourself think in the noise, let alone work.

Yes, I do realise that. But I am pretty sure all the residents were able to temporarily handle the situation during the same time because it was not the year/s of Pandemic, and you can go to offices and then spend major chunk of the "noise time" in your work locations.
I just wish people become a little sensitive according to the times we are in.
It's difficult to hear yourself think in the noise, let alone work.
This x100. It's out of control. See the video below, and play it at full sound in the app. It has been this loud -- consistently -- since 9am today, with about 30 minutes' reprieve.

I understand that housing supply is a critical issue in this city, but it is ridiculous that the province is giving construction companies carte blanche to make huge amounts of noise 24/7 while also telling us to stay inside 24/7 and work from home. My neighbour's newborn child is having serious trouble sleeping during the day. It is easily above 100 decibels outside, probably close to 120-130, and it's probably 80-90 decibels inside. Standing water inside (toilet bowl) ripples during the scraping as well.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/storage/app/media/uploaded-files/Know your noise - decibel chart.jpg

Anyone have any idea about sound regulations or ways to fix this?

This x100. It's out of control. See the video below, and play it at full sound in the app. It has been this loud -- consistently -- since 9am today, with about 30 minutes' reprieve.

I understand that housing supply is a critical issue in this city, but it is ridiculous that the province is giving construction companies carte blanche to make huge amounts of noise 24/7 while also telling us to stay inside 24/7 and work from home. My neighbour's newborn child is having serious trouble sleeping during the day. It is easily above 100 decibels outside, probably close to 120-130, and it's probably 80-90 decibels inside. Standing water inside (toilet bowl) ripples during the scraping as well.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/storage/app/media/uploaded-files/Know your noise - decibel chart.jpg

Anyone have any idea about sound regulations or ways to fix this?

I can hear it loud and clear 200 meters to the East, when they did 101 Charlest St East right across the street from my place there was no where near the noise these guys are making, they did it with a jackhammer on the excavator, I do a lot of work from home and it was tolerable.

Back