Toronto 55C: 55 Charles Condos | 167m | 50s | MOD Developments | a—A

"On April 7th, the Ontario Government brought in Ontario regulation 130/20, which allows for construction between the hours of 6AM - 10PM, 7 days per week. The new provincial rule also contains a stipulation stating: "The City does not have power to prohibit and regulate with respect to noise made in connection with any other construction activity in the City between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m." This provision is not set to expire until October, 2021."

This is so ridiculous, of course, for residential construction. People are spending all their days at home and now will only have 8 hours of quiet? Sadly found out about this new exemption today. We'll be calling our ward representatives with hopes for change.

"On April 7th, the Ontario Government brought in Ontario regulation 130/20, which allows for construction between the hours of 6AM - 10PM, 7 days per week. The new provincial rule also contains a stipulation stating: "The City does not have power to prohibit and regulate with respect to noise made in connection with any other construction activity in the City between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m." This provision is not set to expire until October, 2021."

This is so ridiculous, of course, for residential construction. People are spending all their days at home and now will only have 8 hours of quiet? Sadly found out about this new exemption today. We'll be calling our ward representatives with hopes for change.
Residents affected should consider this when they go to the polls in the next provincial election.

From what I understand, the changes to work hours was to accommodate more social distancing efforts on work sites.

From what I understand, the changes to work hours was to accommodate more social distancing efforts on work sites.
...while that might be plausible, it also should be considered that COVID 19 has been used for an excuse to exploit the situation for entities' own personal gains, when the claim itself may or may not be true.

Or tl,dr: I'm not sure we really should be buying "COVID 19 made me do this!" schtick.

Almost all of the current noise (very loud rhythmic clanking) from construction comes from the shoring machines... shaking accumulated dirt off of the corkscrew bit that drills the concrete shoring piles. The actual work of drilling is very quiet. Perhaps there is a quieter way to complete this process? Sounds like a useful invention.

Also, a second shoring machine has arrived today.

Questions:
Any idea how long the shoring process will last?
What's next in this process? Is it noisier than what we are going through now?

Almost all of the current noise (very loud rhythmic clanking) from construction comes from the shoring machines... shaking accumulated dirt off of the corkscrew bit that drills the concrete shoring piles. The actual work of drilling is very quiet. Perhaps there is a quieter way to complete this process? Sounds like a useful invention.

Also, a second shoring machine has arrived today.

Questions:
Any idea how long the shoring process will last?
What's next in this process? Is it noisier than what we are going through now?
It's hard to say how long the drilling will last. Maybe done next week? I-beam piles go into the drilled holes next, anchored in concrete, and then timber lagging will begin to be laid in between the piles as excavation starts. Excavation typically takes about a month per floor down that they are going, so about four months for that.

Necessity is the mother of invention. As long as they're allowed to make noise between X and Y o'clock, nobody is going to invent a costlier, quieter method, and nobody is going to opt to use it without their hand being forced by regulations.

Today.
5458C567-CF64-48AA-AD06-91A3F92ACAAA.jpeg
E60A099F-C45E-43E8-A6A0-7DD106A1FB3F.jpeg

sorry I have a question regarding the latest update. Is the underground parking built already? I am living at 42 Charles, the noise is just too much. City 311 doesn't really take action unless many ppl complain : S

Back