Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

For some reason I thought there was at some point some sort of observation on the top of Manulife Centre?

There is, go to where the cinemas are and follow the sign to the elevator that takes you to the restaurant/bar on the top floor.

I agree that Yorkville is different from those cities, that's why I said this site is appropriate for a skyscraper. But Yorkville is still very close to low rise neighbourhoods and the placement of new skyscrapers has to be carefully evaluated.

Cities like Paris and Madrid do have skyscrapers but they're generally on the edge of the city instead of in established neighbourhoods. Their central cores are predominantly low and midrise, much more so than Toronto. They were examples off the top of my head to show that brushing off opposition to a skyscraper with "Tall buildings are in cities. Don't like it, move out to the country" is childish and simplistic at best. If you did the same thing with an 80 storey skyscraper in central Madrid you'd get laughed out of the room.

That has more to do with the fact that their severely aging infrastructure could not support tall buildings in their downtown. You would probably have to build new sewers and water supply lines to accommodate.

To reply to a much earlier post... the developer would likely argue that this site falls within the "Height Peak" at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor, meaning it would be eligible for a maximum height of 242m (80 storeys) as per the Tall Buildings Study. This height was established through the original approval of One Bloor (Bazis), at 80 storeys. Following this logic, perhaps it isn't such a big step to 83 storeys... Besides, if Aura is any indication, the developer could always apply for 80, and then re-apply during construction for a minor variance to allow for 3 additional storeys, and have it granted in exchange for a million dollars in off site park-land dedication :)

Last edited:
If this thing is happening I would love it to have the profile of the Hancock tower in Chicago with a white frit glazing a la sick kids tower. A big white obelisk would be amaaaaaaazing

Decided to have some fun and try to feel this one out. I figured I'd be optimistic and make it the potential 91 floors. Total height of my design is around 1224 feet or 373 m. A pretty solid height. Used a lot of inspiration from One57 in New York City.

6893983260_1f04b601b1_z.jpg

6893983202_2cce2d29e5_c.jpg

6893433040_18e7e39661_c.jpg

Decided to have some fun and try to feel this one out. I figured I'd be optimistic and make it the potential 91 floors. Total height of my design is around 1224 feet or 373 m. A pretty solid height. Used a lot of inspiration from One57 in New York City.

6893983260_1f04b601b1_z.jpg

6893983202_2cce2d29e5_c.jpg

6893433040_18e7e39661_c.jpg

Still waiting for the April Fool's punch line.

This is not happening guys.

277 meters = 908.792651 feet

a few people around here are going to be disappointed.....

That has more to do with the fact that their severely aging infrastructure could not support tall buildings in their downtown. You would probably have to build new sewers and water supply lines to accommodate.
Funny you mention that...

Toronto Hydro Downtown Building Boom Strains System

New infrastructure is required anywhere that skyscrapers are built. European cities could build them in their cores if they wanted to (and some have), and the reasons they haven't are more aesthetic than anything.

Where has this information been released? At this point we have no information on height whatsoever...
It's public information as soon as the rezoning application is submitted. It's just a matter of finding it. I think they post applications on their website.

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Mar 22, 2012 18,835 600 83 Application Submitted Mar 22, 2012
An application to amend the zoning by-law to permit an 83-storey mixed-use building (277 metres tall including mechanical penthouse) with: an 8 storey commercial/office podium (41,080 square metres of non-residential gross floor area); a tower with 600 residential units; and 620 below-grade vehicular parking spaces.

well this sucks. well, its still going to be our second tallest building in the city!

looks like this will be a building with 3.1m floors.. so low end. (probably sucky design because of that)

Last edited:

Back