Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Great to finally have the details that this project is indeed in motion. Holts and Cumberland Terrace are two of the city's most important pieces of redevelopment/intensification remaining. For such a prominent location I also hope for bold design and architecture. The height doesn't bother me but the floor count and proposed height correlation may indicate that it may be a Aura-type mid market project and not exclusively high end. The move to go mid market would make sense though considering the relatively slow market right now for luxury condos (ie. Minto St Thomas and Avendale being put on hold). The investor frenzy seems to be mainly strong for medium priced projects.

There's still a possibility that they would try and go for the 300m mark, possibily even the 1000 foot mark. They might attempt to make the rooms bigger in terms of height, like 12-15 feet tall. We also have to keep in mind that it's too soon to call, so in the future as this goes on the might apply for more floors, like 5-8 additional floors.

The height doesn't bother me but the floor count and proposed height correlation may indicate that it may be a Aura-type mid market project and not exclusively high end. The move to go mid market would make sense though considering the relatively slow market right now for luxury condos (ie. Minto St Thomas and Avendale being put on hold). The investor frenzy seems to be mainly strong for medium priced projects.

Yup, that's why I'm expecting we'll get a second rate architect for this project such as P+S or G+C.

Absolutely correct. There is still time for firms to make a statement, but I fear that won't happen. Such wasted opportunities. In and out quick, and on to the next box.

No I meant for this location. Another Toronto architect I follow on twitter said he's heard it was this firm as well. So is it 100% confirmed? No. But knowing Oxford works with them it makes sense.

I've thought about that--perhaps CT & Holts are preceeding at the same time with the same architect? It may make sense as to why they're now doing one taller tower there.

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Mar 22, 2012 18,835 600 83 Application Submitted Mar 22, 2012
An application to amend the zoning by-law to permit an 83-storey mixed-use building (277 metres tall including mechanical penthouse) with: an 8 storey commercial/office podium (41,080 square metres of non-residential gross floor area); a tower with 600 residential units; and 620 below-grade vehicular parking spaces.

620 below grade parking spaces???? Is this the largest underground garage to be built during this condo boom? :S

Very exciting proposal - too bad it's approximately 91 feet short of 1,000 feet though.

Why? It's approximately 9 feet over 900, and 109 over 800, and 209 over 700 and...
Or is this another "OMGz it's not a supertallllll" post?

Back