Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Wouldn't 1 bloor and the new FS not qualify either?

I would think that since they have already been approved (not to mention are already under construction), they would be grandfathered out of the Tall Building Guidelines, which I assume would only apply to buildings approved after the Guidelines come into effect.

So I guess it's a race between approval of this project (and any other tall buildings in the pipeline), and approval of the Guidelines.

Nothing's stopping City Council from simply ignoring the recommendations of staff (i.e. the Guidelines). They've done it before. If this proposal is enough of an icon, perhaps it may get some special treatment.

I would think that since they have already been approved (not to mention are already under construction), they would be grandfathered out of the Tall Building Guidelines, which I assume would only apply to buildings approved after the Guidelines come into effect.

So I guess it's a race between approval of this project (and any other tall buildings in the pipeline), and approval of the Guidelines.

I think that at the end of the day, it will be a race to stop this (TBG) madness until our Toronto market calms down and is stabilized...Gee, its a no-brainer

Will be chopped down significantly. Even though I like tall buildings, ever-changing skylines, all those homeowners within walking distance of this proposed project will have a say, and it's going to be chopped down guaranteed.
I would much prefer a super-tall close to or in the financial district, where it's expected, not where it's not-expected.

I can't see anyone opposing this if the design is stunning. Its Yonge & Bloor for pete's sake! Will be interesting to see how Oxford ties together the two proposals.

I can't see anyone opposing this if the design is stunning. Its Yonge & Bloor for pete's sake! Will be interesting to see how Oxford ties together the two proposals.

I would. So will all of my neighbours. Let's build this beside your place and see how you feel.

Just to pour a bucket of cold water on everyone... Marcanadian at SSC raised the point that if the Tall Buildings Guidelines are adopted, this proposal ain't happening.

Downtown Vision Height Map

The maximum height allowed for that location would be 137m, and those maximums are set in stone, with no exceptions (other than already approved buildings) allowed, that I know of.

This is recommendations, not law.

We can only hope. Of course, there is always the OMB which has the power to override the Tall Building Guidelines if they are enacted -- but wait, many people on this site want the OMB abolished as well!

Yep, because the OMB is bad for the city as a whole. If the sole obsession is just about how tall a building is, then you will always fail to see why the OMB is an anachronism and bad for Toronto. Believe it or not, the city has allowed for tall buildings, just as the OMB has done great damage to sound city planning. It's pathetic to think that people would argue for continued existence of the OMB solely on the basis of desperation about how tall they want a building to be.

This building is going to be surrounded on all sides by very tall buildings

• 1 Bloor - 253 meters
• Manulife Charles - 166 meters
• Four Seasons - 204 meters
• Cumberland Terrance - 230-250??? Meters

Who in Yorkville is going to oppose it. To be honest I don't see much opposition as its right on bloor at a perfect intersection for high density living. 2 subway lines and whatnot.

I would. So will all of my neighbours. Let's build this beside your place and see how you feel.

I would love it because I'd realize I was living in a city. Tall buildings are in cities. Don't like it, move out to the country.

Anyways I really hope this goes through.. I was really hoping Toronto's first supertall would be around the CBD so it could be seen from the classic lake view, but having it up in Yorkville, especially on the Holt site, would almost assure it's of good quality (Uptown and CrystalGrey not withstanding).

Also, that Tall Buildings whatever is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's pretty much trying to stop the growth of a city. We aren't Montreal.

Last edited:
I would love it because I'd realize I was living in a city. Tall buildings are in cities. Don't like it, move out to the country.

Anyways I really hope this goes through.. I was really hoping Toronto's first supertall would be around the CBD so it could be seen from the classic lake view, but having it up in Yorkville, especially on the Holt site, would almost assure it's of good quality (Uptown and CrystalGrey not withstanding).

Also, that Tall Buildings whatever is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's pretty much trying to stop the growth of a city. We aren't Montreal.

Have you read that Tall Buildings whatever thing? Do you understand it's purpose? If you did, you might be on board with some or all of it.
This seems to be to be an appropriate area for tall buildings (IMO), hopefully it makes it's way through before the Downtown Tall Buildings Project gets to Council along with the Cumberland Terrace redevelopment.

Reference - http://www.toronto.ca/planning/tallbuildingstudy.htm

Back