485 Wellington Street West | 51m | 14s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Demolition isn't expected right away. The current building at 485-489 Wellington St W is being listed as available for a short term lease, 2 year term or less.

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the latest docs:

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 1.10.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 1.10.01 AM.png

karledice

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why do people like black brick so much?
I think it's very dark and gloomy
Just look at that dark building the Taylor on King Spadina.
Looks depressing

isaidso

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why do people like black brick so much?
I think it's very dark and gloomy
Just look at that dark building the Taylor on King Spadina.
Looks depressing

I suspect you're in the distinct minority viewing black as depressing. Black is usually viewed as classic, elegant, sophisticated, and a strong rich colour. It's for similar reasons that black is the 'go to' colour in formal wear. A black tuxedo or black dress exudes affluence. Rich colours help tremendously in a climate where it's cold, dreary, and grey for 4 months of the year.

Black brick? A rich red brick? Yes, please.

Last edited:

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Almost none of the brick used in Toronto is actually black. It's typically charcoal. It's been overused, becoming the default colour for contemporary brick buildings. Personally, I find that the most pleasant streetscapes in the city on an overcast February day tend to be the ones where the buildings have alternating orange, red, brown, and yellow brick facades. They tend to look good in the summer too.

Charcoal is nice amidst leafy green trees on a bright summer day, but less so on overcast February days. However, it's quite nice when paired with bright accent colours like the yellow panels on 8 Charlotte Street.

karledice

Member Bio
Reaction score
I suspect you're in the distinct minority viewing black as depressing. Black is usually viewed as classic, elegant, sophisticated, and a strong rich colour. It's for similar reasons that black is the 'go to' colour in formal wear. A black tuxedo or black dress exudes affluence. Rich colours help tremendously in a climate where it's cold, dreary, and grey for 4 months of the year.

Black brick? A rich red brick? Yes, please.

I think red brick is more classic or brown?
Like most of the buildings on this side of Wellington?

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like to see brick or surfaces that reflects back 0% visible light, so they look like portal dimensions that have opened in time and space. Until they get start to get dirty, that is...