Toronto 485 Wellington Street West | 51m | 14s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Demolition isn't expected right away. The current building at 485-489 Wellington St W is being listed as available for a short term lease, 2 year term or less.

From the latest docs:

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 1.10.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 1.10.01 AM.png

Why do people like black brick so much?
I think it's very dark and gloomy
Just look at that dark building the Taylor on King Spadina.
Looks depressing

Why do people like black brick so much?
I think it's very dark and gloomy
Just look at that dark building the Taylor on King Spadina.
Looks depressing

I suspect you're in the distinct minority viewing black as depressing. Black is usually viewed as classic, elegant, sophisticated, and a strong rich colour. It's for similar reasons that black is the 'go to' colour in formal wear. A black tuxedo or black dress exudes affluence. Rich colours help tremendously in a climate where it's cold, dreary, and grey for 4 months of the year.

Black brick? A rich red brick? Yes, please.

Last edited:
Almost none of the brick used in Toronto is actually black. It's typically charcoal. It's been overused, becoming the default colour for contemporary brick buildings. Personally, I find that the most pleasant streetscapes in the city on an overcast February day tend to be the ones where the buildings have alternating orange, red, brown, and yellow brick facades. They tend to look good in the summer too.

Charcoal is nice amidst leafy green trees on a bright summer day, but less so on overcast February days. However, it's quite nice when paired with bright accent colours like the yellow panels on 8 Charlotte Street.

I suspect you're in the distinct minority viewing black as depressing. Black is usually viewed as classic, elegant, sophisticated, and a strong rich colour. It's for similar reasons that black is the 'go to' colour in formal wear. A black tuxedo or black dress exudes affluence. Rich colours help tremendously in a climate where it's cold, dreary, and grey for 4 months of the year.

Black brick? A rich red brick? Yes, please.

I think red brick is more classic or brown?
Like most of the buildings on this side of Wellington?

I like to see brick or surfaces that reflects back 0% visible light, so they look like portal dimensions that have opened in time and space. Until they get start to get dirty, that is...

It looks like a bit more wait for the redevelopment of 485 Wellington West to start. The RETAIL FOR LEASE sign has been updated with a LEASED banner. Contractor staff were going in and out of the front door this morning. I did not get an opportunity to ask who our new (short term) neighbours would be....

20210811_082451.jpg

Attachments

• 20210811_084150.jpg
    20210811_084150.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 97
It looks like a bit more wait for the redevelopment of 485 Wellington West to start. The RETAIL FOR LEASE sign has been updated with a LEASED banner. Contractor staff were going in and out of the front door this morning. I did not get an opportunity to ask who our new (short term) neighbours would be....
I looked inside the building last night, and saw several cooler fridges and freezers (like one would see in a supermarket/convenience store), half-stocked shelves of pantry items, what looked like cans of kombucha, some packages of linguine, and also 2 desks with computer monitors, all in the same space.

Modern dépanneur/internet café?

November 10 - The interim use is a Goodfood distribution centre. Given the expenditure on fit up and now for the installation of signage, my guess would be a one, or possibly a two year lease to Goodfood (with possibly some early termination options if compensation were to be provided to Goodfood offset their fit up costs).

485 Wellington.jpg

Lobbying Activity on this one:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM27924​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

485 Wellington Street West (my note, planning application specified)

Client:

Wolfecorp Wellington Inc.

Parent:

Portland Property Group.

Reactions: AHK

Back