Toronto 4800 Yonge Street | 168.24m | 49s | Menkes | Arquitectonica

Honestly still not enthused about this project- the shampoo bottle-esque tower is not integrated into the boxy podium at all (which itself barely makes any urbanistic concessions itself).

On top of that, looking at the notes ('spandrel glass') and that all-too-common knee-height mullion in the architectural drawings, I sort of dread that the tower is going to be clad in window wall.

Hmmmm, the drawings I found on the development portal seems to say the parking is below grade on P1-P5, while the podium is going to be used for office space.

P1 & P2 full size but due to eastbound Sheppard to southbound Yonge subway turning tunnel cutting through site, P3 to P5 will be missing that northeastern 1/3

Feb 2019 Settlement had their subway entrance at their northwest corner piggybacking into Nestle Building's subway entrance. “Red X” marks spot of proposed new TTC subway entrance - closer to corner of Yonge & Sheppard
33B84C7E-8762-4ADA-B871-F73FEA0A5E6C.png

New architectural drawings for May 2020 show new subway entrance at corner of Yonge & Sheppard - this will be the most useless subway entrance! Why? Because anyone from outside this building will have to pass by at least one other existing TTC subway entrance to use it!
74FC00E3-079C-4CEF-A435-05D42EF50D7B.jpeg

3E4A74FF-9174-4F7F-A576-CD3082FDA663.png

Controversial because by hitting 15,000 m2 office space (on the nose!) they trigger a North York Secondary Plan loop-hole that allows $5million of their $11.5million Section 37 Community Benefit to go back towards paying for their subway entrance - which will be useless to the locals!

Why? Because anyone from outside this building will have to pass by at least one other existing TTC subway entrance to use it!
Not for the people that chose NYCC as their spawn point ;).

Jokes aside, I can't say that I like this design too much. Seems awfully out of place for NYCC, and while I think the area needs more interesting buildings, it looks like it got dropped onto the podium by accident.

Honestly still not enthused about this project- the shampoo bottle-esque tower is not integrated into the boxy podium at all (which itself barely makes any urbanistic concessions itself).

On top of that, looking at the notes ('spandrel glass') and that all-too-common knee-height mullion in the architectural drawings, I sort of dread that the tower is going to be clad in window wall.
It 100% will be clad in window wall above the podium, unfortunately.

I've been watching the construction site from my apartment for a few days now. What are they building here?
The parking lot is set to re-open in the first week of July, so it is a temporary construction site. At first, I figured they may be sampling the core even further, but now seems likely it is an above-surface structure. Is this a billboard of sort going up? Thoughts?
IMG_20200624_181403.jpg
IMG_20200624_181431.jpg
MVIMG_20200624_181411.jpg
MVIMG_20200624_181415.jpg
MVIMG_20200624_181422.jpg

I highly doubt they'll put in a temperary builldboard when it'll be taken down in the future. Any advertising for the condo can be done on the hoarding.

As mentioned up thread this is likely just some pre-con stuff due to the senstivity of the location's underground with the water and the subway.

I am not sure you could compare the advertising capacity of a 5-6 story billboard against wallpapered fences.

It still doesn't explain the need for building something above surface that is this tall before shoring has commended.

I could totally be wrong as well tbh.

I am not sure you could compare the advertising capacity of a 5-6 story billboard against wallpapered fences.

It still doesn't explain the need for building something above surface that is this tall before shoring has commended.

I could totally be wrong as well tbh.
I mean, that's a fair point.

However, in the past, Menkes has advertised to foreign buyers, such as in Hong Kong.

I doubt they would put up a billboard, or find the need to, since they aren't exactly a nobody developer, and would likely still have people buying even if the site itself had no advertising.

We're both just speculating though, and we could be right or wrong, we'll see the answer soon.

I mean, that's a fair point.

However, in the past, Menkes has advertised to foreign buyers, such as in Hong Kong.

I doubt they would put up a billboard, or find the need to, since they aren't exactly a nobody developer, and would likely still have people buying even if the site itself had no advertising.

We're both just speculating though, and we could be right or wrong, we'll see the answer soon.
I should be more clear when I say billboard/advertising. My speculation is that it could be an advertising asset they are constructing to leverage the underutilized lot. Pre-Covid this lot was nearly full through business hours. Now it's a ghost town; subway ridership has plummeted. Just a thought.

Back