Toronto 422 Wellington West | 14.33m | 2s | Allied | ERA Architects

Hey guys, I've read all posts on this thread. I have some questions about the site, I think you guys know a lot more about this area.

I am a potential buyer of the nearby condo 400 Wellington St W. The unit is on a lower floor, west facing directly into the 424 Wellington masion. My biggest concern is the new building (whatever they decide to build eventually) will block my entire view, and it will be too close to my windows. Any ideas on the timeline of a new development since the site is now purchased by Allied? Or any prediction?

Also, are there any redevelopment plans for 420 Wellington St W (former Shopify building), I don't know if it's heritage, and I won't be surprised developers will tear it down or add something on top.

My purchase decision is heavily impacted by the nearby developments considering the very close distance of all buildings. I'd appreciate if anyone has any guess or opinions.

Allied has entered into a ten year lease for the Le Select building with a restaurant operator. There is an early termination clause that Allied has the option of invoking after five years, if it is ready to proceed with redevelopment of the area. However, if Allied does not elect the early termination, the terms and conditions of the lease, including the rent, would remain in place for the full ten years.

The presumption would be that whatever happens, the following basic steps would be required:
  • development of preliminary design concepts, community consultation, preparation of application documents for the City
  • planning review and zoning approval processes with the City
  • detailed design
  • preparation of the construction permit drawings and specifications,
  • building permit submission and review and processes,
  • obtaining construction quotes and awarding the construction contract.
all of which would need to take place before construction could start.

So - to purchase in 400 Wellington now, you would be pretty sure of a five year minimum, plus whatever time it takes to dig down, and then build back up to the level your proposed unit would be.

After that - all bets would be off......

Allied has entered into a ten year lease for the Le Select building with a restaurant operator. There is an early termination clause that Allied has the option of invoking after five years, if it is ready to proceed with redevelopment of the area. However, if Allied does not elect the early termination, the terms and conditions of the lease, including the rent, would remain in place for the full ten years.

The presumption would be that whatever happens, the following basic steps would be required:
  • development of preliminary design concepts, community consultation, preparation of application documents for the City
  • planning review and zoning approval processes with the City
  • detailed design
  • preparation of the construction permit drawings and specifications,
  • building permit submission and review and processes,
  • obtaining construction quotes and awarding the construction contract.
all of which would need to take place before construction could start.

So - to purchase in 400 Wellington now, you would be pretty sure of a five year minimum, plus whatever time it takes to dig down, and then build back up to the level your proposed unit would be.

After that - all bets would be off......
Thank you for your comment, this is very helpful.

Definitely could live there for at least 5 years without construction out of my windows and see what happens then : )

Looks like the sale of the Wellington House by Brad Lamb to Allied Properties Reit may have closed on schedule yesterday. All Brad Lamb project related signage has now been removed from the site. The security vehicle which has been parked in front of the south-east corner of the building is now gone as well - in all the time it was there, only ever once saw someone sitting in it, otherwise it was always empty.

The only signage left on the site is the City of Toronto rezoning application notice board, which of course belongs to the City, and is not Brad Lamb's to removed. Given that this application is now completely dead, the sign is obviously obsolete - what the protocol would be to get it removed, and whether Allied could do so unilaterally I do not know.

Photo from earlier this afternoon:

20210805_152210.jpg

Looks like the sale of the Wellington House by Brad Lamb to Allied Properties Reit may have closed on schedule yesterday. All Brad Lamb project related signage has now been removed from the site. The security vehicle which has been parked in front of the south-east corner of the building is now gone as well - in all the time it was there, only ever once saw someone sitting in it, otherwise it was always empty.

The only signage left on the site is the City of Toronto rezoning application notice board, which of course belongs to the City, and is not Brad Lamb's to removed. Given that this application is now completely dead, the sign is obviously obsolete - what the protocol would be to get it removed, and whether Allied could do so unilaterally I do not know.

Photo from earlier this afternoon:
Allied could remove that at any point. The sign is not the City's - it is the responsibility of the applicant and is only there as long as the application is active.

Good News - updates on the 422 Wellington Building. The building itself has been fully secured, and now the site has perimeter security around the building in place as well. Contractor staff is now on site working on structural reinforcements for the building in preparation for its restoration. The General Contractor for this phase of the project is Harrington, one of Allied's go-to contractors for heritage building work - the Harrington sign can be seen on the fencing in front of the driveway between the 422 Building and Le Select.

20210927_111522.jpg

20210927_150437.jpg

Wednesday, November 10: Activities ongoing - work continuing on the roof as well as inside the structure. A new gas line has been installed along the west side of the building, and a landscape contractor was on site cleaning up in front of the building (they were on lunch break when I went by).

424 Wellington - C.jpg

424 Wellington - B.jpg

424 Wellington - A.jpg

I was browsing through some of the GDNA Development posts and found this document which I figured everyone here would find interesting.

[Allied] is keeping and restoring 424 with a sensitively scaled addition to the rear by ERA as a restaurant, keeping LeSelect as a bistro and developing a landscape courtyard plan that will integrate all of their properties in the inner block (Source)

Some screenshots from the attached preliminary plans (ERA doing the architecture):
1642526926102.png

1642526962020.png

1642526978203.png

Looks awesome to me - I'm very excited to have Wellington reconstructed and turn into a stretch of active restaurants!

May 12, 2022

New staging area for the Well while interior demolition is in progress.

12DDC83C-25FF-4105-823D-96C641CA1F32_1_201_a.jpeg

On a side-note... Like the Select Bistro, we have another lock-down casualty down the street - Bar Wellington is no more.

EFA8BC39-3048-42F5-9F3C-D2B278E29D6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Back