Toronto 422 Wellington West | 14.33m | 2s | Allied | ERA Architects

That Brad Lamb piece was insane, and those arguments were reaching and reaching hard. He sounds a lot like an unhinged Trump-type. Clearly he more concerned with his business and bottom line, than human life. Sad.

That was a full-on bozo eruption! Unhinged is right - all it was was a petulant rant borne out of his selfish view of his own assets taking a haircut. Everyone knows that he's a massive, narcissistic douche, and he just put it on full display.

It's a work of art, really.

That Canadians should consider the health and social impacts of an economic depression when weighing the costs/benefits of a broad forced shutdown? Yeah, outlandish stuff.

If you take an issue an issue of Brad's view of the evidence against a prolonged shutdown, then engage with that. But the question he addresses is obviously important.
There are proactive solutions to those issues, but I am pretty sure Mr. Lamb won't like it, lol.

That Brad Lamb piece was insane, and those arguments were reaching and reaching hard. He sounds a lot like an unhinged Trump-type. Clearly he more concerned with his business and bottom line, than human life. Sad.

He does bring up some valid points. This whole thing is absurd and really about leaders sitting on their asses, doing nothing and allowing a virus to ravish the people. Now they're playing catch up and while completely dismantling the economy at an alarming rate. I don't think people truly understand the amount of self-inflicted damage every day of the lockdown is causing.

As he said, why were we told masks would not help and that we shouldn't wear them? Now we heat that we have to wear masks. That is so asinine. How many people lost their lives because the right hand didn't kknow what the left was doing?

People are working from home and possibly don't have a home to sell so they don't see the impact or care for that matter. But maybe they will care when we're going into June and still on lockdown and our unemployment figures skyrocket. Rents not getting paid, mortgages not getting paid, businesses unable to open, etc. You can't pause an economy for months and then start it back up. We are going to pay dearly for all that helicopter money....

Given the political makeup of this board, not surprised that lamb is receiving so much flack. I'm not a fan of the guy but I agree with number of his points.

Meanwhile, what's going on with testing? Yea, nothing.

He does bring up some valid points. This whole thing is absurd and really about leaders sitting on their asses, doing nothing and allowing a virus to ravish the people. Now they're playing catch up and while completely dismantling the economy at an alarming rate. I don't think people truly understand the amount of self-inflicted damage every day of the lockdown is causing.

As he said, why were we told masks would not help and that we shouldn't wear them? Now we heat that we have to wear masks. That is so asinine. How many people lost their lives because the right hand didn't kknow what the left was doing?

People are working from home and possibly don't have a home to sell so they don't see the impact or care for that matter. But maybe they will care when we're going into June and still on lockdown and our unemployment figures skyrocket. Rents not getting paid, mortgages not getting paid, businesses unable to open, etc. You can't pause an economy for months and then start it back up. We are going to pay dearly for all that helicopter money....

Given the political makeup of this board, not surprised that lamb is receiving so much flack. I'm not a fan of the guy but I agree with number of his points.

Meanwhile, what's going on with testing? Yea, nothing.

Another rambling response... most of your points make no sense and are really inconsiderate. For instance, leaders are not sitting on their asses and doing nothing. Seems like a few users on here are disconnected from reality.

Last edited:
allowing a virus to ravish the people

4BD62043-3F79-44A3-A761-7E99C11DD57B.gif

Another rambling response... most of your points make no sense and are really inconsiderate. For instance, leaders are not sitting on their asses and doing nothing. Seems like a few users on here are disconnected from reality.

And a snarky response with zero substance as expected. At least contribute something of value or be quiet.

It's not some giant revelation that many leaders failed to act before it was too late. Some like Italy and the US were arrogant and completely misjudged the virus.

The irony of the bolded.

Enough of the back-and-forth-sniping. Anymore of it here and we'll be handing out temporary bans.

EDIT: Two members just got sent on holiday for continuing.

Last edited:
I don’t know that there are grounds for declaring this building unsafe and needing to be demolished.

E6E80EBA-F8B5-48BA-8401-C136422F50E4.jpeg

It’s had better days but it’s clearly structurally sound given that a) it’s still standing and b) there are no fences preventing people from getting close.

I seriously hope the city makes Lamb restore it. Even as a developer, I think he would benefit. Something like this adds a unique historical charm to an otherwise cold modern building.

I don’t know that there are grounds for declaring this building unsafe and needing to be demolished.

View attachment 244813

It’s had better days but it’s clearly structurally sound given that a) it’s still standing and b) there are no fences preventing people from getting close.

I seriously hope the city makes Lamb restore it. Even as a developer, I think he would benefit. Something like this adds a unique historical charm to an otherwise cold modern building.
This building was Listed by Council in late 2017 but that is under appeal. I have asked Councillor Cressy's office if the City can secure it properly as it looks like a real target for arson to me!

This building was Listed by Council in late 2017 but that is under appeal. I have asked Councillor Cressy's office if the City can secure it properly as it looks like a real target for arson to me!
Council stated its intention to designate this building on November 7, 2017

Under the Ontario Heritage Act that was in force at the time (the version from Dec. 15, 2009 - Nov. 13, 2017), section 30(1), notice of intention to designate immediately voids all outstanding permits, and imposed control on demolition, alteration or removal. The actual designation by-law is not required to trigger these things.

This building is also proposed to be listed under the King-Spadina Heritage Conservation District (adopted by Council Oct. 4, 2017, by by-law 1241-2017) but that remains under appeal.

However unless I am missing something, this building is as protected as it could possibly be, thanks to the notice of intention to designate from Nov. 7, 2017.

Even in Lamb's ZBA proposal which was appealed to LPAT and rejected, the building was maintained on site although moved forward to the property line.

I do not think this building is at risk of demolition except for an illegal demolition, arson, etc.

I do not think this building is at risk of demolition except for an illegal demolition, arson, etc.

Someone some pages back after the second fire claiming to have insider information said that the building was unstable and was going to be demolished.

I'm not a structural engineer but having seen it up close and not seeing any damage below the second floor fire, and going by the fact that the perimeter hasn't been secured, there doesn't appear to be any imminent danger of the building collapsing.

Someone some pages back after the second fire claiming to have insider information said that the building was unstable and was going to be demolished.

I'm not a structural engineer but having seen it up close and not seeing any damage below the second floor fire, and going by the fact that the perimeter hasn't been secured, there doesn't appear to be any imminent danger of the building collapsing.
Reposting from a few pages back:

Some hopefully good news from Cressy's office:
"Thank you for writing to the office of Councillor Cressy.

There is a full, ongoing investigation as to the source of the fire by Toronto Fire Services. While there was damage from the initial fire, the building has been deemed safe enough to enter by Fire Inspectors. Toronto Heritage visited the site yesterday, and will be reporting back to our office. The building is currently designated as a heritage property, and is in a heritage conservation district, so there are multiple city policies that apply to its retention.

Going forward, Toronto Fire will require a boarding of all windows and doors, and regularly visit the site to ensure it is secured against entrance."

Back