Toronto 399 Yonge | 252.3m | 75s | Capital Developments | Teeple Architects

devjohnson

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gorgeous restoration of 401 Yonge Street at Yonge/Gerrard planned

http://www.ashlarurban.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/401-Yonge-Street.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple propsoals like this but they all need to find tenants first.

From this week:

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

This and Five represents the hidden potential of the existing fabric on Yonge.

AoD

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 2,507
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 2,499
Last edited:
Aesthetically, sure, but I'd worry now about what that polish means for the street's values all the way up to Bloor. Though I barely-but-somewhat sympathize with the 'Yonge is a trash heap' (though not in those words) crowd re the 'Yonge Street Draw,' I question whether the answer is to clean everything up to the point where only chain and corporate retail can afford the rents...

It's gonna happen, but at what cost?

Aesthetically, sure, but I'd worry now about what that polish means for the street's values all the way up to Bloor. Though I barely-but-somewhat sympathize with the 'Yonge is a trash heap' (though not in those words) crowd re the 'Yonge Street Draw,' I question whether the answer is to clean everything up to the point where only chain and corporate retail can afford the rents...

It's gonna happen, but at what cost?

Considering the alternative of disinvestment and physical decline of the structures, I don't think there is much of an option. If not "cleaning up", it would have been wholesale demolition and replacement.

AoD

I'm not sure what original fabric is salvageable of the old Savoy/Coronet at 399, but how wonderful it would be if that site was to be restored as well. How tired it looks now beside that renewed facade.

Considering the alternative of disinvestment and physical decline of the structures, I don't think there is much of an option. If not "cleaning up", it would have been wholesale demolition and replacement.

AoD

Yes, and as for gentrification well that ship's already sailed. Not a bad thing though, more a sign of the times. People don't 'use' Yonge Street the way they once did but at least it's reinventing itself rather than dieing a slow death.

Back