Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

333 Yonge is the HMV store. The fact that a MAYDAY has been issued means that this is SERIOUS .......UPDATE just heard "Fireman over the roof" this doesn't sound good.

Oh man, CP24 identifies this as "333 Yonge Street" (which is HMV) but further identified this as an old building at the corner of Yonge & Gould where a wall had collapsed earlier this year. This is the end of the Edison Hotel (335 Yonge), dammit I knew this would happen. I feel sick to my f*cken' stomach and God forbid if anyone is hurt or killed here the city must charge the owner with manslaughter.

Edit: I just read Peepers two posts about the MAYDAY. This SHOULD NOT and NEED NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

Last edited:
Photo on iReport:

screenshot20110103at534.png

source

This is going to be bittersweet and I almost want to keep myself from saying this considering that a firefighter may have perished, but given the intensity of this fire, this whole block is going to be gone by the time this is put out. Toronto Life Square/Metropolis is history.

screenshot20110103at537.png

An URGENT message has just been sent to "all fire fighters to get off the roof of 333 Yonge Street". Is this building doomed?

OMG !!!! UPGRADED to SIX ALARMS!!!!! I can smell the smoke in my apartment even though the windows are closed.

There's no way Toronto Life Square is going to survive this fire without major damage. Hopefully nobody gets hurt but this could be the best thing to happen to Yonge Dundas Square. I don't mean to sound insensitive but a blank slate for this entire block at a point where Y&D has proven its popularity and commercial viability will be very attractive to a big pocketed developer.

Then again, this may be premature speculation, but given how serious this fire is, and abutted right up against FutureShop and the AMC cinemas, I can't imagine the building not being affected.

The fire is in the building that partially collapsed.

It has now completely collapsed. City TV has described it as a write off.

Last edited:
CP24 reports 4 firefighters down/injured. Site abandoned, they are now taking "defensive" measures to fight the fire.

The whole area is in a lock-down, Church to Bay, Carlton to Queen.

Last edited:
Some businesses are closed today as a holiday (go figure) or operating in soft mode, including our ever reliable media.

CityTV just reported all Fire Fighters injuries are minor, thank goodness.

I wonder if the huge volumes of water being poured on this fire will affect the Yonge subway line below?

5:30am

6:30am

Last edited:

Back