Toronto 309 Cherry Street | 151.35m | 47s | Castlepoint Numa | SvN

Besides, our Canary Wharf isn't the Portlands, but East Harbour.

AoD
East Harbour? That's more like Bristol's port renovation. Canary Wharf featured a heavy rail tunnel under the docks from a century ago, and in amazingly good condition considering the lack of upkeep, and that it was brick, laid behind a coffer dam and trenched into the bottom of the lock. The equivalence to Canary Wharf would be the LRT, albeit in the case of the East Docklands, it was the Dockland Light Railway. What boggles the mind is the Crossrail station completely underwater save for the upper structure to facilitate entrance/exit:
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/canary-wharf/in-numbers-canary-wharf-crossrail-station

London is lucky to have been committed to this when she did, as times are about to get very tough for the UK (Brexit)(Commercial indices are already headed down). Is this the fate for Toronto too? I suspect so. Metrolinx can't even tie their own presto shoelaces, and seeing anything of transportation greatness from the TTC is just an apparition.

Maybe Ford was right about the ferris wheel after-all?

Edit to Add: When I stated "Bristol's port" I should have remembered, "port" for the Brits is a different connotation. Their term for our "port" is "harbour"...which overlaps our usage. Whatever:
Harbourside
Once a busy dock where sailors and merchants would trade goods and set sail for voyages of discovery, Bristol's Harbourside is now an attractive, modern development filled with restaurants, bars, shops and hotels. [...]
http://visitbristol.co.uk/about-bristol/areas/harbourside

Last edited:
Where did you get your numbers from @DonValleyRainbow ? The architectural plans filed with the City have 165.5m to the top of the mechanical penthouse, or 542.84 feet.

I was having a hard time looking at the drawing, thanks for the correction. It has been updated, I added the link to the database file now that it's been created. Just squeaks into the top 100!

Besides, our Canary Wharf isn't the Portlands, but East Harbour.

AoD
A very important point on the Canary Wharf Crossrail station (which is ostentatious but magnificent in being so).

Almost a third of the half billion Pound cost is contributed by Canary Wharf Group, the landlord of the development above. Toronto, if it wishes to claim to be a "World Class City" had best encourage the private sector to aspire to being "World Class" in terms of participating with increasing the value of their own assets. The irony with Canary Wharf Group is the original Canadian ownership of it.

BBC, 24 December 2008
Crossrail given £150m fund boost
_45171368_a6dba0d2-495e-42ff-9a7a-3759e09e14a8.jpg

The transport project will be the UK's largest since the Channel Tunnel
The Crossrail scheme has received a £150m boost towards building a new station in east London.

Canary Wharf Group (CWG) contributed the money towards the £500m Isle of Dogs station near its office complex.

Work on the station, which will include retail space and a rooftop park, will begin in January.

Crossrail will run 73 miles (118km) from Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west, to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east, to be completed by 2017.

The £15.9bn project will be the UK's largest transport project since the Channel Tunnel.

It aims to bring an extra 1.5m people within 60 minutes commuting distance of central London.

Transport Minister Lord Adonis said: "This deal with CWG once again demonstrates the commitment of business to this vital project."

He said the project would contribute at least £20bn to the UK economy and create an extra 30,000 jobs.[...]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7798832.stm

A much more up-to-date running article and dialog by commenters on the station and project is here:
http://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/pictures-crossrails-eastern-tunnels-canary-wharf/

I was down checking out the excellent Cherry St BBQ yesterday and saw the development sign.

20170715_165545.jpg

The City is holding a Community Consultation meeting where you can learn more about this application ask questions and share your comments.
Details are as follows:
Date: April 16, 2018
Time: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Place: Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre - Preschool Room
870 Queen St E, Toronto, ON M4M 3G9

Here are some images from the Sept 2017 Precinct Plan. This parcel appears to be the pink-shaded privately owned in the bottom map, and it looks like they are trying to set a precedent of roughly twice the height envisioned. I understand the tactics, and maybe a single tall tower within this cluster of midrise buildings is fine. I don't see how this area would be ready for a tower given the significant flood plan and land fill activities that will be happening.

To people who are continually disappointed by bland architecture -- most buyers don't demand more creatively and the industry is conservative, focused on ease of construction, risk minimization, profits per unit, and I don't see that many developers here wanting to create showpieces out of civic pride for Toronto. Fat cats make their money and go live on the Amalfi Coast where the concerns of everyday Torontonians are irrelevant.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-107839.pdf

screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-45.png
screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-06.png
screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-10-32.png
screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-09-43.png

Attachments

• screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-45.png
    screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-45.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,005
  • screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-06.png
    screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-12-06.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 2,010
  • screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-10-32.png
    screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-10-32.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 2,068
  • screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-09-43.png
    screenshot-www.toronto.ca-2018.04.07-11-09-43.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 2,023
Last edited:

Castlepoint Numa is finalizing approvals to develop a five-acre site on Villiers Island at 309 Cherry St. It hasn’t finalized the total GFA or unit numbers, but the plan includes 60 to 95 units of affordable housing. In addition to mid-rise and high-rise housing, plans include commercial space, parks and open spaces, adaptive re-use of two heritage buildings and a number of sustainability features.

Back