Toronto 301 Queen Street East | 65m | 17s | Berkeley Events | BDP Quadrangle

The space between the church and the podium is indeed a landscaped space for people to use. It should, however, be wider, in my opinion. The proportions feel too tight. But it could definitely be a very pleasant space there, alongside the beautiful red brick church. I am very fond of that building.

I worked on a scheme on this very same site for a school studio project so I have some strong preconceived ideas of how I would treat the site. I'm really passionate about this site and care deeply about what the result here is. This design is certainly not worthy for this great site and a point tower is not the right built form for this site. Nuh-uh, no way.

EDIT 2: The ground floor plan is VERY tight. In my opinion, they are definitely trying to cram way too much onto a small site and the architectural design of the whole project really suffers as a result. It's a great site in a great location and for sure densification is fair here - but trying to cram so much onto this small site is really making it suffer.

EDIT 3: My understanding has always been that Berkeley Events owns all the property over to the paint store / auction house. So it's strange to me how this development only uses up some of the parcels of land and leaves one older structure at the west of the site as well as an empty lot next to it.

Last edited:
I feel like I would like this if only I didn't recall the first proposal which had a much more interesting shape.
I do like the colour, wouldn't be my pick, but I like that it's different.

Erp. I've just taken a better look at the renderings. They're not leaving anywhere near enough space between the church and the new tower to make that patio worthwhile. I sit corrected.

I was recently trying to find this project on this site, but to no avail. I first saw the initial concept a couple of years ago and thought the design was fantastic and unlike anything in the city. What a letdown to know that the design has changed, and now looks completely forgettable.

So I've taken a look through the submitted plans and this is almost certainly just a feasibility exercise of sorts. Whatever ends up happening here almost certainly would be quite different than what we see, even if the city did approve the rezoning. I would like to see a development here that completes the streetscape but also maintains some "event space" for Berkeley Events, but I do hope it is much improved from what's in this current set of documents. A nice midrise would be great.

I3cQZYq.jpg

Between this one and the new proposal for Airship 37 space, looks like there's soon to be far fewer nuptials exchanged in the hood.

Ehh, last wedding I was at there didn't take.

Back