Toronto 301 Queen Street East | 65m | 17s | Berkeley Events | BDP Quadrangle

Yes! Although perhaps change the yellow to brick or corten or a colour that matches the church brick?

I like the yellow.
Toronto has tons of red, but very little yellow. It is very bright, perfect for that blighted area.
I agree with previous posters that such height is optimal for the area. What we need is more consistent street wall as there are too many gaps.

I hope they don't polish the church space too much in the process - the gently degraded feel of the interior is unique. That said, let's hope the builders are proper - the owners (God bless them) have a kid's fort thing going on with the bathrooms and field house.

I was in New York last week and this design reminds me a bit of the Gehry design for the IAC building I spotted while walking the High Line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAC_Building

My first thought was there's no reason why we can't have such sculptural mid-rise designs back home.

12640862483_e7b824ffda_b.jpg

12640856323_03262932b0_b.jpg

There is way too strong a contrast between the existing church and this new mid-rise building! I just don't understand this clash of materials and styles, especially on one of Toronto's oldest streets. There may be a literal connection in the glassed-in atrium and trees (???), but that is the only thing tying these two sites together. We've got a patchwork city happening here, all benefits of the mid-rise movement aside.

Talk about a letdown after seeing a thread being bumped for the first time in over a year

Well HappyAboutHeritage, you'll be glad to learn that the RAW proposal depicted in this thread is not what is going ahead.

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what you feel would be appropriate here...

This one is back. And bigger.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3957521&isCofASearch=false

301 QUEEN ST E
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Site Plan Approval to permit the development of a 25-storey mixed-use building: 206 dwelling units, 6 levels of below-grade parking, total combined GFA 15,711 sq. m.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 161258 STE 28 SA May 25, 2016 Under Review
OPA & Rezoning 16 161250 STE 28 OZ May 25, 2016 Under Review

I'm satisfied with the height of the ground level; nice high ceilings for retail units and would make for a good streetscape. The podium's height should be better aligned with the Berkeley church, in my opinion.

The dead space between the podium and the church is unfortunate. I realize the developer is trying to maximize the size of their building on the site, but a public connection past the church would be better than a strange/unintentioal/underutilized residual space.

No comment on the tower. It's obviously very much a schematic design but it looks "blah", and I do think it's too tall. A midrise would be much better built form here.

Last edited:
The dead space between the podium and the church is unfortunate. I realize the developer is trying to maximize the size of their building on the site, but a public connection past the church would be better than a strange/unintentioal/underutilized residual space.
That area is used as outdoor patio space for events, and I doubt they would want to imperil some bookings by losing it.

Back