Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

This thread's gone curiously quiet without so much as a peep from our favourite webmaster since early January...

They took down the notice of application sign, but beyond that there has been no activity. The slow down is dragging this one out longer than they had hoped I imagine.

They took down the notice of application sign, but beyond that there has been no activity. The slow down is dragging this one out longer than they had hoped I imagine.

This was only approved about a year ago, and went on sale last August. Tentative occupancy is spring 2012, so plenty of time yet. Patience grasshopper :)

This is one project where the city-mandated reduction in height due to that absurd "skyline tapering" policy has changed a quite elegant design (in my opinion) into a distinctly more stumpy profile. Well, maybe not exactly stumpy, but certainly more ordinary than the earlier design.

Bill -- not a fan of this new city planning policy.

I'm pretty sure that sales is still ongoing @ 300 Front ... but sources say sales have been very slow (obviously) since the RE market fell apart last year (I'm guessing 30% sold?), but also partly due to its high selling price and surrounding projects relaunching with lower quality features at much lower prices (ie: Fly)

I wonder if Tridel will repackage this project ??

I'd actually like this project to fail and see someone else come in and build an office tower complex covering the whole block. It should be interesting to see what happens to the other side of the parking lot if this project does go through. Any sort of tower would likely be within a few feet of 300.

The project is about half sold, but things have been very very quiet in 2009 in terms of sales activity (which really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone).

Interesting article in the July 2 Notice Pages of Daily Commercial News, seem to indicate things are moving forward for 300 Front....(note wording is a little unclear about the 2 buildings - just a typo probably)

MIXED USE BUILDING Proj: 9092318-4
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
300 Front St, John St, M5V 3B5
$160,000,000

Start: October, 2009 Complete: February, 2011

Note: Working drawings are nearing completion. Sales and marketing are ongoing. Owner has finalized City Council approvals for site plan and rezoning. Schedules for Sub trade tender and construction are anticipated Fall, 2009 based on occupancy. Further update September 2009.

Project: concrete foundation, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a mixed use building. The project will include a 49 storey condominium building, above a 16-storey mixed use building with residential and commercial space. In the residential building the second to fourteenth floors will house residential units, with an amenity floor on the fifteenth floor. A pool and green space will be built on the roof. There will be 676 units total.

Scope: 700,000 square feet; 49 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 676 units; parking for 791 cars
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Recreational bldgs

does anybody know if this building will do anything to improve the look of the electrical substation right behind the current parking lot?

does anybody know if this building will do anything to improve the look of the electrical substation right behind the current parking lot?

I don't think so. They electrical substation belongs to hydro. It doesn't belong to Tridel. They can't touch it.

I agree with scarberiankhatru... I mean do we have to fill all our remaining parking lots in downtown with condos? We can throw condos up anywhere in the city but there's only a limited number of areas in the city where we can support 50+ storey office buildings. Losing this site or even block to a condo project, I believe, would be a mistake.

What so special about office buildings? So all you can have is people in suits working during the day jamming up the sidewalks and streets, and completely dead at night. No thanks.

Getting downtown these days is already a hassle. The last thing we need is more office towers. Condos will help alleviate the transit/traffic overflow, instead of adding to it. Office towers should be built on the periphery, like the NYCC zone, or even the 905.

Back