Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Depends on your philosophy. There was definitely a deliberate movement in the 80's courtesy of Layton et al. to halt downtown office construction in favour of the then-suburban nodes like NYCC and SCC. It's not a bad rationale, spreading out development to better utilize our transit infrastructure, encouraging two-way travel and putting the jobs where the people are, but I'm not sure that the policy really worked. Instead we got scattered office buildings in the fringes of the city that are hard to get to by transit, and then the higher 416 taxes just made a lot of businesses cross Steeles to develop sprawling business parks in the much cheaper 905.

In a way the downtown condo boom is sort of the flipside of the mentality that pushed the office construction out. By having people live downtown you encourage those people to walk or cycle as their primary means of transit, reducing the strain on the roads and subways.

This project will keep it hidden from view northward from Front.

however, i don't think the noise will be reduced. When it rains or when birds fly into the hydro station, it makes a huge exploding sound. Loud enough to set off car alarms in the neighbourhood.

however, i don't think the noise will be reduced. When it rains or when birds fly into the hydro station, it makes a huge exploding sound. Loud enough to set off car alarms in the neighbourhood.

Oh, lovely! Great entertainment from a north balcony at 300.
Is there any reason that anyone is aware of as to why the hydro station hasn't been enclosed?

What is wrong with this city? Are people that naive that they think their properties that they are paying $650/sq ft for now are going to be $1000/sq ft when they go up in 3 years?

I'll buy a unit here once the building registers and everyone takes a 30% loss because we have 15% unemployment and $3/L gas.

I'm not trying to trash Tridel, they are doing everything right from a business perspective, but as long as people keep ignoring what's going on around the world, we're just going to prolong this crappy economy. You're only hurting your kids!

What is wrong with this city? Are people that naive that they think their properties that they are paying $650/sq ft for now are going to be $1000/sq ft when they go up in 3 years?

I'll buy a unit here once the building registers and everyone takes a 30% loss because we have 15% unemployment and $3/L gas.

I'm not trying to trash Tridel, they are doing everything right from a business perspective, but as long as people keep ignoring what's going on around the world, we're just going to prolong this crappy economy. You're only hurting your kids!

Tridel knows exactly what they are doing. Thats why they have been so succesful for so long. They know their costs, today and have a good idea of what they are going to be next year and the year after that while they are buiding this place. They expect to turn a reasonable profit on their venture, as they have in the past.
Think $1000/per sq. ft. in a few years is crazy? Perhaps you might want to checkout what prices per sq.ft. go for today in other major cities on this planet as a comparison.
Think about what you are saying. $3/litre for gas in a few years? At those prices, do you really think people are going to want to continue commute from the burbs?
Waiting for a 30% drop in prices. You might be right.., if you looking at Bowmanville or Milton.
If you are waiting for significant price drop of that kind of percentage happening in downtown Toronto, ..well you may have to continue fantasizing about the future, while living in Mom and Dad's basement for a long time to come.

LOL Granny...please do not give me the look at other cities argument. Toronto is not New York, Paris or any other ridiculously expensive city. We've always been cheap compared to other cities. Furthermore, the average person's income hasn't increased anywhere near enough to justify the rise in home prices.

A lot of this market was driven on spec, and a lot of projects are starting to close in the next 18 months. All those investors are going to want to flip their units, especially with Trillions of $ wiped out of their investment portfolios.

Tridel hopes that this market exceeds the late 2007/early 2008 highs. Take a look around you, we aren't going to get their for a while. Don't be fooled by the #'s you hear in the media. The only reason people are buying again is because compared to 2 years ago, the deals right now look great, and most people don't understand a single thing about finance. The next leg down is coming, and anyone crazy enough to commit to $650+/sq ft is going to wake up one day feeling like a train just ran over them.

:)

Be careful out there.

The economy is still taking a nose dive, granted.

Honestly festival tower at $550 per/sqft would be a decent price. $650 is alittle steep. But its got location, so steep it is. Developer has cash, tons of it. I bet they can sit on this one and not budge prices.

$1000/sqft... no chance, not in 3 years or 5 years. Maybe 8-10 years. All depends how long the recession last. will the next boom be as explosive or more gradual.... questions no one can quite answer.

will liquidity resume? will there be deflation or inflation? these questions need to be answered first before you can establish any predictability.

Last edited:
August 2 2009 update

300 Front St W's still at zero ~

IMG_1388.jpg

Ditto with yours DSC, and now mine too. Why don't we all pile in?

Well I guess we can all make smart ass comments, but my post was in reference to the hours taking place outside that photo i.e. soil testing, posted signs, closing parking lot etc. Otherwise we will need to post and have a moderator approve what they think is a reasonable for others to see. That or continue to have all the non-contributors post their useless thoughts as we see everyday.

Dan, thank you for expanding on your thoughts there, which I do think is helpful. UT would not work if every post had to be Moderator-approved of course, but every now and then some prodding is required by the Mods to remind all members that the quality of the content is prized over the quantity of posts!

Back