Toronto 293 The Kingsway | 33.9m | 9s | The Benvenuto Group | BDP Quadrangle

I don't see the point of retail here. There'll be a pile of it immediately south. This area, otherwise, is very suburban and will always be. It doesn't need "activation".

I don't see the point of retail here. There'll be a pile of it immediately south. This area, otherwise, is very suburban and will always be.

There is no rule saying it must stay that way forever. This is a perfect example of where the city needs to step in if they're serious about intensification. Guidance and vision go a long way.

At one point there was nothing but forest here. It changed. At one point there were no tall buildings downtown. It changed.

I'm not saying that the yellow belt should never change, but I think you're dreaming in technicolor on this one. Even with potential incremental change in the future should Council and planners allow for zoning changes to stable neighbourhoods, this area won't need anymore retail: Humbertown just next door will have a surfeit of it after the rebuild.

There is no rule saying it must stay that way forever. This is a perfect example of where the city needs to step in if they're serious about intensification. Guidance and vision go a long way.

At one point there was nothing but forest here. It changed. At one point there were no tall buildings downtown. It changed.

The way we build communities leaves little room for evolution and change. The city should be encouraging open usages like live work as much as possible like in Cityplace and the West Harbour lands. Of course, the forum hasn't been too receptive over that either wanting instead more retail spaces that only chain stores will ever be able to lease.

I'm not saying that the yellow belt should never change, but I think you're dreaming in technicolor on this one. Even with potential incremental change in the future should Council and planners allow for zoning changes to stable neighbourhoods, this area won't need anymore retail: Humbertown just next door will have a surfeit of it after the rebuild.

That rebuild was approved 4 years ago...

Seems like this has traded hands. Now Malen Capital and the Benvenuto Group. Launching soon apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting development here. I agree with the previous poster .... why keep St Stevens Ct? Why not reconfigure the entire property. (I guess you can't mess with a public road ?)

I don't see any retail / commercial becoming reality in this development. These are going to be expensive condos (ie. Empty Nesters, Kingsway Professionals etc..) No condo owner wants to have the general public access their property for a restaurant or cafe. It becomes cumbersome and annoying to the owners. This will be a contained development within the court, this is not a pedestrian thouroghfare which would require parking, boulevards, wide sidewalks etc. Those type of buildings are built near busy intersections and on busy roads. The future humbertown Development would be more inclined to produce a real commercial atmosphere. Looks like a Starbucks and Pizzeria are many years ahead.. Humbertown Development is on hold indefinitely.

Interesting development here. I agree with the previous poster .... why keep St Stevens Ct? Why not reconfigure the entire property. (I guess you can't mess with a public road ?)

I don't see any retail / commercial becoming reality in this development. These are going to be expensive condos (ie. Empty Nesters, Kingsway Professionals etc..) No condo owner wants to have the general public access their property for a restaurant or cafe. It becomes cumbersome and annoying to the owners. This will be a contained development within the court, this is not a pedestrian thouroghfare which would require parking, boulevards, wide sidewalks etc. Those type of buildings are built near busy intersections and on busy roads. The future humbertown Development would be more inclined to produce a real commercial atmosphere. Looks like a Starbucks and Pizzeria are many years ahead.. Humbertown Development is on hold indefinitely.

Since when is the humbertown plaza on hold?

Looks like they are renewing leases for the Humbertown Plaza for 2-3 years. I have heard through sources that there are engineering changes, and some obstacles on the property that require further investigating. They will not be breaking ground for a few years.

Looks like they are renewing leases for the Humbertown Plaza for 2-3 years. I have heard through sources that there are engineering changes, and some obstacles on the property that require further investigating. They will not be breaking ground for a few years.

Ugh, so lame...

What obstacles??

Again though, they are moving on the first block in the southeast corner up against Royal York where the LCBO and Bulk Barn are, so I think we'll see something sooner than you are expecting, while keeping the plaza proper intact for a bit.

Ugh, so lame...

What obstacles??

There were underground utility / drainage / services issues that require re-engineering. This is not confirmed, but was heard thru a trusted source. Also, the other rumour is the partnership with Tridel in developing the condo portions is taking considerable effort to develop. I assume once the development was approved a few years back, First Capital then began negotations with Tridel to engineer and plan the condominium residences. This is a gigantic development... things like this ususally take 5 - 10 years to get off the ground. Perhaps a small Phase 1 development on the corner is approved, but the main center course (plaza re-construction with park / shopping / condo towers) will be a few years away.

Back