Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

If you build it, they will come on the GO Train.

Not a huge demand, but if you put in a GO station with streetcar and bus feeder lines, a smallish office tower on top of a reasonable mall, and mostly ring it with new condos, they might just be able to create the critical mass needed to pull something like that off here.

Not a huge demand, but if you put in a GO station with streetcar and bus feeder lines, a smallish office tower on top of a reasonable mall, and mostly ring it with new condos, they might just be able to create the critical mass needed to pull something like that off here.

About a year ago Cllr. Milczyn sent a request to Toronto Planning and Metrolinx to report on the feasibility of a Humber Bay GO Stop.

Planning provided their rationale and support, Metrolinx didn't even show up nor acknowledge the ask.

Meanwhile, I continue to do my part by driving everywhere :)

About a year ago Cllr. Milczyn sent a request to Toronto Planning and Metrolinx to report on the feasibility of a Humber Bay GO Stop.

Planning provided their rationale and support, Metrolinx didn't even show up nor acknowledge the ask.

Meanwhile, I continue to do my part by driving everywhere :)

I have a feeling GO RER would change that.

AoD

I have a feeling GO RER would change that.

AoD

We need short term relief, not 20 years down the road.

Grimes is an awful councillor who hasn't done one iota of improvements to HBS aside from throwing up more towers.

I want leadership like what I see from Scarborough councillors; put their community's interests ahead of others (and they don't even have to deal with explosive growth!)

Yes, you would think that a developer that purchases this huge piece of land, would be willing to build that in return for more residential density

There's no profit in building commercial in return for more residential density. Certainly a developer would jump at the chance to build commercial over residential if there was demand for it. How quickly were the residential components dropped on Bay Adelaide and 100 Adelaide when the office market took off. Like comparing Glenfiddich to Johnny Walker.

This is far from the truth ... there are very little GO stations in Toronto outside of the core that have seen office development in the last 15/20 years and this will continue ... heck the Sheppard line amounted to 0 new office space ..

The demand for office space outside core is negligible at best (until you hit the 905) less very local use (e.g. the new building proposed on Finch ... a medical building ...) and even then for the most part there is enough existing inventory for all of this.

There's a proposal/development sign on the property. Was that always there?

This is far from the truth ... there are very little GO stations in Toronto outside of the core that have seen office development in the last 15/20 years and this will continue ... heck the Sheppard line amounted to 0 new office space ..

The demand for office space outside core is negligible at best (until you hit the 905) less very local use (e.g. the new building proposed on Finch ... a medical building ...) and even then for the most part there is enough existing inventory for all of this.

I would only look for a small office component as part of a mostly retail centre, professional/medical offices and the like. I wouldn't expect new corporate head offices here. I think the best they can expect for replacement jobs are in retail unfortunately.

I would only look for a small office component as part of a mostly retail centre, professional/medical offices and the like. I wouldn't expect new corporate head offices here. I think the best they can expect for replacement jobs are in retail unfortunately.

But there in lies the problem, retail drives little transit usage when compared to office development, moreover it tends to employ even lower skilled (and paid) labor then when compared to industrial jobs. Really the city should be pushing for more traditional office usage ... the outer 416 SHOULD complete with the 905 ... , but that's likely not going to happen in out lifetimes.

But there in lies the problem, retail drives little transit usage when compared to office development, moreover it tends to employ even lower skilled (and paid) labor then when compared to industrial jobs. Really the city should be pushing for more traditional office usage ... the outer 416 SHOULD complete with the 905 ... , but that's likely not going to happen in out lifetimes.

Ideally, the city would push to retain the northern part of the land manufacturing/light industrial so as not to place pressure on the Ontario food terminal. Heck the OFT may see use in placing some uses on the Kraft lands if they indeed need expansion. The remaining portion would co Mixed-Use RC but with the stipulation that 50% office and 50% retail employment make up the remaining employment loss from the site.
Heck, John Tory and his business friendly tax incentive initiatives may even be well suited to pursue such a plan.

But here lies the issue. Etobicoke already has a designated growth center at Six Points/Islington and Bloor in which I'm sure planning staff would like to see some office development here so how would they rationalize more dispersal via major office investment at Kraft, which goes counter to their area plan?

HBS is surely in need of diversification and mixed use on these lands. a repeat of South-of-Lakeshore should be avoided at all costs

My questions are bolded, the answers are from the Mayor's office.

-Will there be a kiss & ride to the Mimico Go Station? If so, when?
A kiss and ride is included in the current reno plans at Mimico GO. If it hasn't been completed already it should be done shortly: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/mimico_station.aspx
-What's happening with the Mr. Christie Site? I know it's been closed but are we turning this into a transit hub/ Go station stop? If so, when?
The property owner, Mondelez (which is a Kraft subsidiary) has put the property up for sale. As far as we are aware, no buyer has been found. Whenever the property is purchased, and a development application does come forward, one of the first things we would ask for is for the new owners to transfer the necessary lands to the City to make a transit hub possible. A time frame is hard to determine as so much depends on the sale of the property and the eventual purchaser.
-When will the Lakeshore Go Station line be electrified?
The lines are owned and operated by Metrolinx which is a Provincial agency. They have indicated that they intend to electrify the GO lines starting with the Kitchener/Georgetown line and the Lakeshore West line but they have never delivered a time line.
-I've read that the Mr. Christie site has been zoned for commercial use - does this mean along with transit we'll see restaurants and shops?
Currently the property is zoned for employment use which basically means light industrial or office only. when all is said and done I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of commercial there but as a smaller part in a larger development.

Wow. That last response shows that Tory (and/or his staffers) are unfamiliar with how much of a fight the City puts up to not rezone employment lands for other uses. Hmm.

Back