Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

The TDSB never owned the Eau du Soleil land. A joint school could be built on part of the Kraft Bakery site, similar to the one being built now at CityPlace.

The TDSB never owned the Eau du Soleil land. A joint school could be built on part of the Kraft Bakery site, similar to the one being built now at CityPlace.

I really like what was designed for cityplace. Totally turned that neighbourhood around. Plus the building design is quite attractive with the low-rise profile, wooden materials and green roof - http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/cityplace-canoe-landing-community-centre-schools
C7DFEC69-047B-4D8C-BE84-66025D1C7524.png

Attachments

• C7DFEC69-047B-4D8C-BE84-66025D1C7524.png
    C7DFEC69-047B-4D8C-BE84-66025D1C7524.png
    3 MB · Views: 543

Thanks. I suppose then that the TDSB map must have a straightforward error in locating the school site. I do like the idea of a combined school and community centre in the Kraft lands. I wonder if this would involve pedestrian bridges or underpasses across Park Lawn and Lake Shore. Those are busy streets for young primary school children to cross.

There will certainly be a “cost” in permitted density for this and other needed community features.

I do like the idea of a combined school and community centre in the Kraft lands. I wonder if this would involve pedestrian bridges or underpasses across Park Lawn and Lake Shore. Those are busy streets for young primary school children to cross.

Agreed.. underpasses under both main roads for walking and cycling would be key for this site, regardless of what gets built.

I wonder if this would involve pedestrian bridges or underpasses across Park Lawn and Lake Shore. Those are busy streets for young primary school children to cross.

Little kids don't go anywhere these days without adults. Anybody old enough to go to school without adults should be able to cross any busy street including these ones. Bridges or underpasses are not needed here.

Here in Toronto, people have to press a button to activate pedestrian traffic signals. Elsewhere, they have real intelligent pedestrian traffic signals that activate (or deactivate) by the presence of a person at the crossing. Similar to the automatic doors at supermarkets.

I always see people crossing on the "do not walk" pedestrian signal, because they forgot to press the button and the regular traffic signal is green.

Little kids don't go anywhere these days without adults. Anybody old enough to go to school without adults should be able to cross any busy street including these ones. Bridges or underpasses are not needed here.
I disagree. Maybe kids don’t go without adults because our urban planning disregards safe walking routes and optimizes for vehicles. That’s a failure. A senior was hit and killed at park lawn and lake shore a couple years ago. Regardless of age, safe pedestrian infrastructure is always needed.

I disagree. Maybe kids don’t go without adults because our urban planning disregards safe walking routes and optimizes for vehicles. That’s a failure. A senior was hit and killed at park lawn and lake shore a couple years ago. Regardless of age, safe pedestrian infrastructure is always needed.

In that case we'd need to do this everywhere which is clearly impossible. Unless this is somehow a more dangerous intersection than hundreds of others across town.

I’m sure you are aware of the discussion ongoing about Vision Zero? Yes, safe pedestrian routes should be in place throughout the city, although I would say that park lawn / lake shore is one of the more dangerous intersections due to its proximity to highway on/off ramps combined with the large (& increasing) amount of residential. Also, the large Humber Bay park (a destination for walkers and cyclists) adds to the need for safe access.

I would also add that under/overpasses may not be the only solutions although they are the least disruptive to vehicular traffic.

One example are how "sneckdowns" reveal that corner are usually too wide, resulting in unneeded higher speeds as vehicles turn.

See link.

ossington-foxley.jpg.size.custom.crop.870x650.jpg

This Ossington Ave. and Foxley Pl. intersection is a prime example of the most common downtown sneckdown, he says. “I’ve lost count of the number of sneckdowns I’ve seen when one-way residential streets, typically with a seven metre right of way, intersect with major streets.”

college-beverley.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x638.jpg

college-and-ross.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x567.jpg

Yeah, good article. Explains the difficult situation pretty well down here in Humber Bay Shores.

I was shocked to read the city transportation planner's comment about building transit in an area where people already live. He said “It’s hard to convert people after the fact when you’re trying to retrofit something.” I completely disagree with this statement. It's divisive and backward thinking. I have personally spoken to many drivers who say they would definitely stop using their cars for commuting if there was a good transit option. GO transit stations and subway stations are built out into the suburbs all the time where people live and own cars. The stations are always used. Just because people commute to work by car doesn't mean they like it.

Yeah, good article. Explains the difficult situation pretty well down here in Humber Bay Shores.

I was shocked to read the city transportation planner's comment about building transit in an area where people already live. He said “It’s hard to convert people after the fact when you’re trying to retrofit something.” I completely disagree with this statement. It's divisive and backward thinking. I have personally spoken to many drivers who say they would definitely stop using their cars for commuting if there was a good transit option. GO transit stations and subway stations are built out into the suburbs all the time where people live and own cars. The stations are always used. Just because people commute to work by car doesn't mean they like it.

The entire City of Toronto Planning department is trying to legitimize the amount of money and resources the planning dept are putting into the East Bayfront before most of the development occurs there. That is their priority, and that is why they say these things. Look, even though close to 30k people live at and around Humber Bay, they already drive.. so why give them transit. It's no secret the department prioritizes planning in and around the old City of Toronto, at the expense of South Etobicoke in this case. Mind boggling. All my opinion of course.

Back