Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

It's consecutive - so 3 :)

But.. and here's the big but... If the community wants this daycare, community centre, transit hub, etc - it will have to play nice regarding residential. I know my fellow neighbours are wary of anything with balconies going up anywhere near HBS, but this is the price to pay to get nice things. Unfortunately the unscrupulous thieves threw up their garbage towers and didn't pay the right price for it, but we have ourselves to blame, and our councillor (which is our blame), so be it.

Agreed for the most part. The amenities and community facilities will only come with a price attached. It’s unrealistic to imagine that the price won’t include residential density. For me, the number one priority is a GO station and a transit interchange of some sort. It looks more promising now, but it will cost us.

The part of the post I have trouble with? “Garbage towers,” if you mean that as a blanket statement. I think that, as with most developments, there is a range of quality here. We’re happy where we are.

Agreed for the most part. The amenities and community facilities will only come with a price attached. It’s unrealistic to imagine that the price won’t include residential density. For me, the number one priority is a GO station and a transit interchange of some sort. It looks more promising now, but it will cost us.

The part of the post I have trouble with? “Garbage towers,” if you mean that as a blanket statement. I think that, as with most developments, there is a range of quality here. We’re happy where we are.
I’m really not a fan of most new builds in HBS especially given the precedent set by the Palace Pier twins and Grand Harbour/Marina Del Rey. There was a certain quality to earlier builds that went past the buildings to their surroundings. Just look at the public spaces around GH and MDR. Incomparable to anything post 1999.

I’m really not a fan of most new builds in HBS especially given the precedent set by the Palace Pier twins and Grand Harbour/Marina Del Rey. There was a certain quality to earlier builds that went past the buildings to their surroundings. Just look at the public spaces around GH and MDR. Incomparable to anything post 1999.

Well, I guess quality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t go into the grounds of Palace Pier often since it is the opposite end of HBS from us. My impression from the occasional walk or cycle past it is very positive, however. It seems to me one case where the “tower in a park” idea worked out well. But the surroundings of Marina del Rey? I look out some of our windows at it and cut through it regularly when we walk west on the bayside boardwalk. If it were new construction, we would all be fulminating against all the concrete and the extensive surface parking.

But we do agree on the likely course of development on the Kraft lands.

Two people living together in a condo creates more than two over time. Still haven't seen plans for a school or two.

See link for an example where they have problems with busing of kids even though they can see a school withing walking distance.

Urban density in action: They can see the school from their balconies but their kids can’t attend

While highrises shot up along the Yonge St. corridor in North York, it was as if nobody predicted — or planned for — the day they would eventually be full of children.​

@WKLis Yes. This problem is for real. In Humber Bay Shores it’s even worse because there isn’t even a school in sight. We are having our first kid this year and if there’s no school in ~4 years we will have to move to another neighbourhood that understands humans. Will miss the lake and park though.

Existing schools, nothing new:
Humber Bay schools.jpeg

From Google maps.

Attachments

• Humber Bay schools.jpeg
    Humber Bay schools.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Hey in order for the city to get all the perks (school, park, and a Go Station, etc.) in this particular piece of land they will have to be lax on the approval process,...which means the developer can pretty well build what he wants

Why can't they include a school on the first 3 floors of a high-rise? In exchange for another 5 or 10 stories.

Exactly, even a community centre, etc. something like One Yonge/LCBO lands, if i'm not mistaken this is even a bigger property than those two put together...lots of potential here if its done right

Thanks for the juxtaposition of the maps. Here is a link to a map showing the schools of Ward three, this area, from the TDSB website. I’m glad to see that the south east corner of the Kraft site appears as the site of a future school. My apologies for not knowing how to embed the image

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/Find Your School/School/PDF Maps/Files/ward3facilities.pdf

And a similar map for the Catholic Board

https://www.tcdsb.org/school/InteractiveTorontoMaps/Pages/Default.aspx

Interesting document! Unfortunately though, the Humber Bay Shores site is now Eau du Soleil. Unless there are plans for a school within it?

The site north of the tracks and west of park lawn could be interesting if/when the Mimico creek trail is completed...

Last edited:

Back