Hamilton 213 King Street West | 94.3m | 30s | Vrancor Development | ZO1

Interesting construction here that in my limited exposure I have not seen before. Can anyone more educated than me explain why they would install shoring beyond the actual footprint of the building? Why employ forms so close to the shoring when they could have simply dug the shoring a few feet further south and installed the concrete against it?

1707188314821.png

Also @Chris R. you will get your straight sidewalk after all. The building will come to the concrete not the steel, and so bump up against the south textured portion of the braille sidewalk, not past it.
1707187761006.png

Interesting construction here that in my limited exposure I have not seen before. Can anyone more educated than me explain why they would install shoring beyond the actual footprint of the building? Why employ forms so close to the shoring when they could have simply dug the shoring a few feet further south and installed the concrete against it?

View attachment 538457

Also @Chris R. you will get your straight sidewalk after all. The building will come to the concrete not the steel, and so bump up against the south textured portion of the braille sidewalk, not past it.View attachment 538455
Hallelujah. Straight sidewalks. Still not super pleased the city allowed this side of King St to be shut to pedestrians for like 2, potentially 3 years, but I'm glad that when it's done it will look really nice. I'm really hoping they install the trees asap in the spring and not in the typical "eventually 🤷‍♂️" way Hamilton does like 4 years later.

That is an odd choice. I'm far from an expert on shoring, but it does seem like it would be more difficult because now the backfilled dirt needs to be compacted in multiple layers or else see settling. They may just fix it after the fact like they did when the soil around the Marquee settled, but being that this will be concrete I worry about the potential hazard that will be left for like a decade before it's fixed.

Hallelujah. Straight sidewalks. Still not super pleased the city allowed this side of King St to be shut to pedestrians for like 2, potentially 3 years, but I'm glad that when it's done it will look really nice. I'm really hoping they install the trees asap in the spring and not in the typical "eventually 🤷‍♂️" way Hamilton does like 4 years later.

That is an odd choice. I'm far from an expert on shoring, but it does seem like it would be more difficult because now the backfilled dirt needs to be compacted in multiple layers or else see settling. They may just fix it after the fact like they did when the soil around the Marquee settled, but being that this will be concrete I worry about the potential hazard that will be left for like a decade before it's fixed.
You're starting to sound as grumpy as me LOL

You're starting to sound as grumpy as me LOL
I'd just like for developers and the city to actually maintain access to public space and complete work for things in a somewhat timely manner. It shouldn't have taken 4 years from completion of the William Thomas building to install trees, (and 2 years after completion for the sidewalk to be fixed and redone after being done shoddily the first time after construction was done).

It's just incredibly bothersome and inefficient.

This development and the McMaster one are starting to show that the city is doing a better job of ensuring that work is done in a timely manner after construction is complete. But the Platinum building still had holes where stonework should be for months, and the Marquee building still has unattached "no parking" signs years after the sidewalk and stones have been installed.

Yeah the city really should keep on these things - I never liked the stone finish they did to the pillars of the william thomas building - it felt very kinda slapped on

It's crazy to think all of this has sorta gone up around the same time - it's weird to go back 10 years and see this property as just a buncha car plots and one federal type building and that one refurbished building..

is there a gap between that wall (where the lease now sign is) and the new building or are they pouring directly onto it?

Back